Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever spooked a deer or had a negative reaction from trying to stop a moving animal?

Instead of stopping from your baahhh!!!! the animal bolts? or a situation like that?

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
I've bleated at the majority of deer I've shot over the last several years and luckily I've never had a negative reaction. However, I've seen a number of animals spooked this way in videos.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Last year I had a doe walking pretty fast about 20 yards out and I grunted on my grunt call very lightly, man she took off like she was shot out of a canon!! I had to laugh it was so funny.

Mark

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ive seen elk get pretty wise to calling. One area I hunt is pretty popular, and a cow call will send them running. Makes them tough to hunt.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
"blaaatt" Works everytime. Take your time after you say it as he will just stand there for quite a while. Don't feel too rushed to take the shot...let the pin settle and execute. Sometimes when they are chasing does or concentrating on a hot doe track you will need to say it several times. Also, if you startle a deer by movement and they start to bolt, blatt loudly serveral times as this will often stop them often offering a great quartering away shot.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
1vabwhntr said:
Have you ever spooked a deer or had a negative reaction from trying to stop a moving animal?
Instead of stopping from your baahhh!!!! the animal bolts? or a situation like that?
1vabwhntr,
I don't see the reasoning for stopping a deer by making any sounds. :hand: If it's that thick of an area that you have to stop the deer, then I'd relocate my stand just enough to take a clear shot. :)

If a deer hears something and stops to listen, it becomes a "loaded" or "on guard" target and can easily jump the string at the sound of the shot. :fear:

I'd much rather shoot an unsuspecting animal, while walking. :nod:

Often, we see these techniques applied on TV hunting shows. It seems a bit "hollywood" or more dramatic. I'll pass and use what's been working for me.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Bowhunter
5,200 Posts
Bowhunter57 said:
1vabwhntr,
I don't see the reasoning for stopping a deer by making any sounds. :hand: If it's that thick of an area that you have to stop the deer, then I'd relocate my stand just enough to take a clear shot. :)

I'd much rather shoot at a stationary target and can usually shoot them when they're feeding on acorns in front of my stands. However, if they're walking I can stop them with a soft bleat. Cover is thick here, so all my shots have been under 20 yards - no problems with ducking the string from being on alert. If they're trotting I've found I cannot stop them and I won't even consider a shot on an animal moving swiftly.

·
Registered
759 Posts
1vabwhntr said:

Nope:) As long as the animal wasn`t already jumpy when it came in a soft mouth bleat works every time for me:thumb:

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I usually will give a bleat sound made with my mouth. I have literally just plain yelled at deer that were running across fields during rifle hunts. I can't really say I have had any negative reactions to stopping deer this way.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yep! Must have been 20-25 years ago when I bought a grunt call after reading how effective they were on bucks. Had a buck and several does in prerut walking out of bow range on a secondary trail and gave the grunt a try. All those deer high tailed it out of there in short order. Threw that call in the garbage soon as I got home and didn't try another untill last year.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Bowhunter57 said:
1vabwhntr,

If a deer hears something and stops to listen, it becomes a "loaded" or "on guard" target and can easily jump the string at the sound of the shot. :fear:

Often, we see these techniques applied on TV hunting shows. It seems a bit "hollywood" or more dramatic. I'll pass and use what's been working for me.

Shooting at walking deer reduces what I like to call "high percentage shots". A stationary target is much more accurately hit than a moving object. It ain't "hollywood" ...stopping a deer with a bleat works extremely well is almost foolproof.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I use the trusty "MRRRRPPP" sound, bleat thing. I've had only one deer BOLT when I do it. I have no idea why she took off , but she did.

·
Registered
37,038 Posts
I never had a deer spook when I grunted with my mouth at them. Im sure that this year it will happen after saying that!

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
1vabwhntr said:

My dad came to full draw on a little buck (his first time drawing on a deer) and I said "bblllaaaahhh" to stop it and it bolted:eek: Felt so bad!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts