Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i want to start fletching my own hunting arrows....

I've decided on the bitzenburger, but dont know if i should buy the straight or helical jig.

Will a straight fletch with an offset effectively stabilize my 100g muzzy 4 blade broadheads?

I hear helical fletching adds a lot more spin/stability, but will prematurely wear my vanes/whisker biscuit?

Any tips to get me started down the right track would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
You will hear a dozen different opinions... here is mine,.

Straight or helical the Biscuit will beat up your vanes.

The biscuit was originally designed for feathers.

Now straight would obviously be the best as it will pass the smoothest through your rest.

However I like helical because I want my arrow spinning down range more for improved broadhead flight.

Offset will steer your muzzy's fine. Start with straight use the offset and go from there. You can always buy a helical clamp later.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I was testing some fletching today!

I shoot quickspins through whisker biscuit. Yes their is gonna be some wear. NAP make a fletching called twister vanes which are a little tougher than standard vanes just for whisker biscuit. I personally like the biscuit for hunting, simple rest. I tried out some of those quick fletch quickspins with wrap and just boil water and the stick to arrow. Very simple and quick and easy. Their are a few little tricks to doing properly but was happy with final product. You have to clean arrows and all the usual stuff for applying quick fletch. If you get a little water trapped under wrap just use a needle to pop and stick back in boiling water and you'll see the air bubbles pop out and your good. It takes about 15sec arrow at most once arrow is preped. Scary simple. My target arrows I'll take the time to build my own arrows but hunting arrow you want to keep simple and reliable. Good luck and catch you later.

·
Banned
690 Posts
Straight or Helical with whisker biscuits?

Try gravey with your biscut.

·
Registered
36 Posts
couple things to consider, the WB is alot of drag so the longer and taller the fletch the worse your drag and accuracy will be.

i would reccomend using a mini blazer (or similiar) and use a straight clamp for two reasons

the least amount of contact through the biscuit will increase your speed and accuracy and helicals will produce more problems when trying to paper tune.

·
Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,268 Posts
couple things to consider, the WB is alot of drag so the longer and taller the fletch the worse your drag and accuracy will be.

i would reccomend using a mini blazer (or similiar) and use a straight clamp for two reasons

the least amount of contact through the biscuit will increase your speed and accuracy and helicals will produce more problems when trying to paper tune.
Oh yeah, Mini Blazers, no off-set or heilical (like you're gonna get any on a mini blazer anyway), should get your broahead flying real nice....not. Please explain how heilical will 'produce more problems when trying to paper tune????' :confused: 2" Blazer with as much off-set as I can get on 3-49 a/c/c, using a right heilical clamp. 9 feet......no problem here.....

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Thats a pretty paper shot!

Oh yeah, Mini Blazers, no off-set or heilical (like you're gonna get any on a mini blazer anyway), should get your broahead flying real nice....not. Please explain how heilical will 'produce more problems when trying to paper tune????' :confused: 2" Blazer with as much off-set as I can get on 3-49 a/c/c, using a right heilical clamp. 9 feet......no problem here.....

Nice papertune, some people would be jealous. My biscuit does about the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts