Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When fletching a Helical fletching (Right Helical clamp) do any of you set your jig to fletch straight, OR set it with some offset ? Do you find much difference in the two ?
Do you find you get better vane contact with straight vs. offset with a helical clamp ?

Also with a Helical fletched arrow, is there any need in adding a offset ? are you gaining any more stabiliztion with an offset Helical ?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I've been shooting straight fletched 4 inch vanes for years. Bought some shorter vanes with a little twist to them once just to try it out. Didn't see any difference at all.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
i keep hunting vanes, 4inch duravanes straight fletch, i also keep my 3-d vanes straight also. NEVER had any problems.I do not shoot a drop away either.

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
1) When fletching a Helical fletching (Right Helical clamp) do any of you set your jig to fletch straight, OR set it with some offset ?
2) Do you find much difference in the two ?
3) Do you find you get better vane contact with straight vs. offset with a helical clamp ?
4) Also with a Helical fletched arrow, is there any need in adding a offset ?
5) are you gaining any more stabiliztion with an offset Helical ?
1- I have two jigs, one set for one degree offset with a straight clamp, and one set for three degrees offset with a straight clamp. Most of the time I use a helical clamp. Arrow spin averages any error or deflection in the tip or nock, and any error induced by variations in release. The faster an arrow spins, the more it averages the error or deflection.
2- There can be a lot of difference in spin rate and spin initiation depending on the amount of offset and arrow speed. Fletch dimensions and design can make that more or less favorable.
3- Depends on the amount of offset you need for your conditions.
4- Usually, especially with smaller vanes. Rotation will be the same for any amount of offset, if you have one degree of offset at any given speed, spin rate will be the same. It just takes longer with smaller vanes to get there. Some vane designs will spin much faster than others, and have features that enhance spin properties at any given offset.
5- Sometimes. It depends on the vane design, shaft weight, and arrow speed.

So, it depends on a lot of things. More isn't always better, any more than bigger is always better. Not all vanes are equal. Quick Spins will definately get an arrow spinning faster/sooner than any other design I've tried, length for length. That doesn't mean they will always be the best choice.

For the most part, you only really need a helical offset for conventional broadheads, and not always then. Helical won't compensate for a misaligned head, it won't compensate for poor tuning.

·
Registered
305 Posts
that is why i bought the blazerhelix fletching jig. it's all set up for the perfect for blazers. If I want a stgraight/offset I have a bohning pro jig setup for that. I have to admit I even once said I didn't like a helix. boy how I was wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts