Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
Just my opinion, to me it was just an hour long infomercial for Carter releases. I really did not get "The Proper Way to Shoot A release", "How To Aim Steadier" or did it teach me how to use a "Back Tension" release.

Again JMHO

74,554 Posts
I enjoyed it

And found it informative.

Gene has sold thousands. Appartly many felt it was worth the cost.

· washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
It was worth the high cost to me because I understand the high cost of production for such a small audience. The DVD has been valuable to me to compare form styles and watch some of the nations top shooters shoot. Since I am so far from any type of quality archery instruction this is one of my top resources to review how I am shooting compared to some of the successful in our sport.

It also made it O.K. for me to admit I had a bad case of target panic. The DVD was a key to my successful battle against it.

· Registered
13,177 Posts
The information contained in that video is THERE FOR THE TAKING....IF the person(s) watching LISTEN and HEAR what is stated instead of hearing what they think they WANT to hear....time and time again, things are RE-STATED, over and over again...mostly the KEY ELEMENTS to properly shooting with BACK TENSION, concentration, DRAW LENGTH, and FORM..

Those that are saying they didn't glean anything out of it either know it all already, or they weren't listening to each of the top notch shooters on the video say basically the SAME THINGS...each in a different manner, in hopes the MESSAGES would be receive...but no matter how clear things are made...some people only hear what they WANT to hear and don't pay attention.
Personally, I don't think the words "CARTER RELEASES" were ever stated in the video as being preferred or not preferred by ANY of the shooters...nor were there any direct references to ANY brands.

I think the video is WELL WORTH watching again and again and LISTENING as well as observing...the stuff earlier mentioned as being absent is clearly there, but it is for an adult audience and they aren't about to say, "Now, Johnny, this is how we shoot.....and do this and do that step by step..."

Just my opinion, but as long as I've been shooting, I gleaned a TON of information, both audio and video out of that DVD!

Now...one thing was truly BASIC to EVERY SINGLE SHOOTER on the video.....it is up to each of YOU to determine the ONE HUGE ITEM that all of them expressed as the KEY to better shooting.........

Could be, however, that because I used audio/visual so much during my teaching career, that I learned to glean things out so that the "worksheets" and quiz questions could be formulated for the students in order to attempt to maximize their learning and improve their LISTENING and VISUAL SKILLS? :D

If I was to teach a seminar on shooting, it would definitely include this video as a prime tool. Worth every penny to have in the library.

field14 :eek: :)

· Registered
1,441 Posts
I'm still looking at this video from time to time, there is so much in it, that I can't get all the details from one view.
Everytime I discover something new, I didn't notice the previous time (could be an idea, a concept or a form) listening and being able to look at some of the best archers shooting (and in slow motion and as often as needed) is of huge value.
Get this DVD... :cool:

74,554 Posts
Well said Shortdraw

Many here never travel or see some of archery best even shoot. Let alone have them give there tips on using there release.

· Registered
2,839 Posts
best archery video i have

it is very informative video , i have watched about a thousand times and still watch it , if you watch it and listen you will learn and see more information than you can get from just hanging out at the archery shop .

· Registered
12,746 Posts
Even if you don't listen to what they have to say, just watching them shoot is very educational. I love this video.

· Just Deux It!
315 Posts
The info in the DVD is anecdotal "in my experience" type stuff, but there are a boatload of good tips from world class pros. It's not laid out in a step-by-step shot sequence, but that's not what Straight Talk is supposed to be.

In any case, I get something new out of it each time I watch it. Well worth the money. Take notes, use the rewindand slo-mo features on your DVD player, and pay close attention to the pros' form when shooting. You'll get much more out of it than you thought you would!

I'd love to see a sequel, perhaps something specifically dealing with 3D or hunting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.