Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Prime Black 1, Sinoart Falcon Recurve
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an advantage to either? The straight blade heads like VPA, Grizzlystik Samurai, and Cutthroat seem like they would be easier to sharpen, and I would think that a straight blade would penetrate better.

But, the Grizzlystik Maasai with curved blades is super popular as are Kudupoint and others.

Thoughts and experiences on this?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Other than straight blades being easier to sharpen, I don't see a benefit to either style. That said, steep blade angle logically penetrates easier than wider angle, just like a knife goes deeper by stabbing than by hacking. I can also see some merit with serrated blades. But my admittedly challenged brain fails to comprehend how straight vs. curved geometry makes any difference in effective killing.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got ahold of the LimbDriven guys who use Grizzlystik a lot and asked them about the Samurai vs Maasai and why the Maasai seems to be more popular. Their answer was that both work great, and in theory the straight blades should penetrate better, but they like the Maasai because the tip is stronger and more reinforced.

·
Registered
Mathews HalonX 70 Lbs 28.5 draw 670 grain gold tip single bevel Tuffheads
712 Posts
I wish all that you listed came in 300 grains

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,257 Posts
I can't imagine any reason the curved would be better than the straight.

Most tapered heads have a shortened tip...so no difference there.

There are some really good heads out there with darn good steel for $10/ea and under;

Magnus Stinger/Buzzcut
German Jager at Kustom King
Alien out of Australia

_____

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Really helpful threat. Thank you! In the same boat right now!
After breaking the tip off of a Grizzlystik Samurai Hunting turkey this year I opted to stick with machined single piece heads for deer and elk. My choices are Cutthroat single bevel and VPA 3 blade. Both in 200 grain because of the thicker steel and beefier construction than a lighter weight head.

I had a pass through on a turkey yesterday using the Black Hornet Ser razor, went through two thick wing feathers and a thigh bone. Got some blade damage but otherwise held up fine.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts