Archery Talk Forum banner

Straightness tolerance?

851 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Ports
I'm a relatively inexperianced archer and I'm looking to pick up a few more arrows. My question is what arrow straightness are most people shooting for hunting situations? I am thinking about picking up arrows with 0.003 straightness, but I don't know if I'll notice the difference. My accuracy just isn't that great yet. I am currently using whitetail slx I picked up from gander mountain. These were my first foray into carbons and didn't want to break the bank, they were cheaper than the rest I compared against. Im thinking my budget is around $80/dz.

Thanks for looking.
Ports
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· She's baaaaack!!!!
20,603 Posts
I'm a relatively inexperianced archer and I'm looking to pick up a few more arrows. My question is what arrow straightness are most people shooting for hunting situations? I am thinking about picking up arrows with 0.003 straightness, but I don't know if I'll notice the difference. My accuracy just isn't that great yet. I am currently using whitetail slx I picked up from gander mountain. These were my first foray into carbons and didn't want to break the bank, they were cheaper than the rest I compared against. Im thinking my budget is around $80/dz.

Thanks for looking.
Ports
.003 is plenty straight for even target archery. I guarantee .003 or even .006 will be absolutely fine.

There are many quality arrows makers. Gander Mountain and the other big bow stores don't make their arrows. They get them from one of the big manufacturers.

You can get good arrows for $80 a dozen.
Carbon Express- Lite Hunter or XP
Easton - Epic
Beman - ICS Hunter and a few other
Gold Tip - XT or Expedition

· Registered
272 Posts
You need to be aware of how the tolerance is measured as well. Some manufactures use total run out and others are +/-. I think it would be hard to tell the difference between anything +/- 0.005" or better.

~petev

· Registered
2,656 Posts
Don't worry about straightness....You have to worry about spine consistency much more. In aluminum arrows, straightness is about the only way the shaft can be affected by spine. No true with carbons, as a carbon shaft can have a weak side no matter what the straightness does.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I picked up some V3 from a local shop last night 85/dz finished. I wanted some in hand so I didn't have to wait for shipping. They helped me fix my setup last night, which was well worth it to me.

Thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.