Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im a bit new to fletching my own arrows. Always just bought the arrows i wanted from my pro shop already cut and fletched. Now for some reason I cant figure out why I want to start buying bare shafts and fletching my own arrows? The problem is that I am not sure what fletching tool to buy. From the looks of it the AZ easy fletch seems like the way to go for me. What I could use some help on is which clamps I should get. Here is my set up
Mathews DXT
70lb draw
whisker biscuit arrow rest
Carbon Express Maxima Hunter 250 arrows with 2" straight blazer vanes.

Do I want to shoot helical vanes through a whisker biscuit? Or should I stick with the straight vanes?

I know this site is filled with a lot of archery wizards that will send me in the right direction :wink:
Thanks to all of your help guys!

· Registered
522 Posts
if you are shooting 2" vanes i like to go helical because it will increase your accuracy with broadheads, however i don't know how they will do through a whisker biscuit. helical is also a little loader but not by much, fair trade off if you ask me.

· Registered
2,903 Posts
if you're shooting broadheads I would at the minimum have some offset in my vanes and feel that helical is better. The EZ-Fletch would be about as simple as it could get for a fletching tool.

· Registered
3,790 Posts
nope, not at all. i fling mine through a biscuit too. my shafts are fletched with blazers using their helix jig. it's put a perfect 3* helical on 2" vanes. i haven't used the e-z fletch mini, but lots of guys have said positive things about it. it also puts a helical on 2" vanes. but i love my helix jig.. either jig will suit you just fine.

· Registered
Hoyt Satori w/ Uukha Gobi limbs 45# @ 28"
2,775 Posts
Phaen said:
but will the whisker biscuit mess up the flight of the arrow if I have a helical on the vanes?
Phaen,
Welcome to Archery Talk! :welcome:

Dump the WB and get a good drop away rest, like a QAD or whatever your preference may be and you'll see a huge difference in flight and groups. :thumb:

Yes, to an off-set or helical, as it stabilizes the arrow's flight and increases accuracy. It's just like having a rifling in the barrel of a rifle...it's needed. :nod:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

· Registered
3,979 Posts
Helical all the way or at least an offset. Also remember, a lot of the helical clamps are designed to fletch 4-5 inch vanes. YOu need to find one of the newer jigs that puts the helical over a shorter 2-inch span. Say Bohning's Blazer Jig and also Arizona E-Z Fletch mini are a couple that I know of.

· Registered
38 Posts
I use a Bohning jig and 2" Blazers for a nice helical fletch. Very easy to do. Oh...and like others have said, lose the WB and get a drop away. You'll get quite a bit better groups. Good luck. :darkbeer:

· Registered
3,790 Posts
i too disagree with the dump the biscuit suggestion. they're plenty accurate for hunting. unless you're shooting competition, the biscuit will work great for you. many of us shoot em and have excellent groups even at long distances. imo, it's the best rest for hunting available. simple, no moving parts, accurate, fool proof, and 100% reliable. it doesn't get any better than that.

as for the jig... for blazers or other 2" vanes, the bohning helix jig or the e-z flecth mini is the only way to go if you want to put a good helical on em with perfect vane/shaft contact.

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I really like my WB. Not looking to switch to a drop away right now. Im not sure how much tighter my groups need to be to kill an animal. Im not looking to Robin Hood my arrow every time. I want to put a helical on my arrows. The concern I have is how the pass through of the WB will effect the arrow flight with the helical on it.

· Registered
1,272 Posts
Right Helical

· Registered
1,731 Posts
Keep the biscuit. Dont ever let anybody tell you a drop away is more accurate. Pure hogwash (probably just jealous after they got beat by someone with a biscuit! :wink:)

And dont let em tell you that you cant shoot helical through a biscuit. Ive been shooting as extreme a right helical I can get on the shaft through a biscuit for years with great success. I dont care if you shoot 4" vanes, or 2" blazers, or anything in between. You NEED some sort of "spin factor" if your going to stabilize broadheads effectively. Offset should be the minimal, helical is better.

· Registered
1,194 Posts
Phaen,
Welcome to Archery Talk! :welcome:

Dump the WB and get a good drop away rest, like a QAD or whatever your preference may be and you'll see a huge difference in flight and groups. :thumb:

Yes, to an off-set or helical, as it stabilizes the arrow's flight and increases accuracy. It's just like having a rifling in the barrel of a rifle...it's needed. :nod:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
Nah.....don't drop the WB, I shoot a 1" group at 60yds with a WB....helical fletch with 3" fusions....what are you shooting at 60ds that needs to be tighter than that?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.