Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my son a nuclear ice and I was wondering how many strands on the string I can use. Its set on 10lbs and I want to speed it up some the arrows twill not stick into the target its got 16 strands of something now I'm assuming its 8125 because it pretty thick over 0.100" and don't have any twist in it. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anybody have any reconmendations on what to use material and strand count wise

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
For what it is worth, you won't pick up enough speed by cutting down the string strands on a 10# bow, but if you want to rebuild the string for nock fit or just so it isn't too bulky, then at 10#'s you can easily use 10 strands of just about anything out there. Look up the breaking strength per strand on the website of the brand you want to use and make sure you have enough strangs and then some for safety margin. But don't do it for gaining fps. My kids have gone through that as well, even at 12 pounds it's hard to get arrows to stick sometimes, and until they are up to the 20's can they reach very far with any power, just my opinion having gone through that 4 times.

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
IT's not 8125 as it is a pretty slim string. Could be Dynaflight 97 though
ya not 8125 and not sure its D97 as i can tell you i have a 16 strand D97 right now on buddies 40lb bowfishing setup and its right at .088 for string

your not sure what material the string is on it now??? asuming it was on there right? is it colored or black???

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes its black I think I will leave it alone for now I'm going to let him get better shooting it right now he hits the wall more than the target.I guess it don't need to be any faster so it easier on the wall the arrow don't need to go into the target futher if you can't hit it lol he is having a ball shooting and I'm enjoying watching him I guess that all that matters but if anybody has suggestions on material for the string let me know he's all ready wanting some different colors lol

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
i would just use the cheaper D97 on it when you make him his custom string, will prolly have to adjust center serving to nock fit whatever arrows hes using but measure center serving to try and get it back if its fine now. D97 is cheap and strong, i use on my recurve with 16 strands but for that little bow you may just be able to use 12/14 for string and cables. if i remember those are 20lb max right??? and if you dont have some D97 let me know and i can get you enough to make a string for it, i have a few colors and could get you enough to make em if you dont wanna buy full spools

1 - 7 of 7 Posts