Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm playing around with arrow tuning and I can't figure out what's going on here. I put all my info into OT2 and found that my arrows are too weak, so to compensate for this I calculated (within OT2) that I need to add 11 gr to the back end of my arrow. I did that by wrapping 11 gr of tape between the nock and fletching. When I shot this arrow, it flew towards the riser which would indicate that it is too weak. I removed the tape and shot the same arrow and this time it flew away from the riser indicating that it is too stiff. I wrapped the same amount of weight onto a bare shaft and it flew extremely towards the riser... so much so that it didnt even penetrate the target, but rather ricocheted off of it.

I thought adding weight to the back of the arrow simulates a stiffer spine and not a weaker one. Anyone have any insight on what could be going on here?

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
???????

Need info so people can answer ... bow weight .. your draw weight.. draw length...type of bow... arrow being shot .. tip weight... feathers..off the shelf ??? give as much info as possible and even pics of equipment helps...

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Need info so people can answer ... bow weight .. your draw weight.. draw length...type of bow... arrow being shot .. tip weight... feathers..off the shelf ??? give as much info as possible and even pics of equipment helps...
Here's my specs.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
what do you mean it flew towards the riser? You cant possibly see the arrow as it leaves your string, Im confused......

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what do you mean it flew towards the riser? You cant possibly see the arrow as it leaves your string, Im confused......
It landed riser side... e.g. left for lefties or right for righties. I didn't want to confuse people with left and right since it's opposite depending on whether you shoot right or left. I personally have been shooting left but I know most shoot right.

·
Registered
750 Posts
when you take a shot and the arrow sticks in the target...is the nock end pointing left,right,or straight.....also...is the nock/arrow angled up,down,or straight in??

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when you take a shot and the arrow sticks in the target...is the nock end pointing left,right,or straight.....also...is the nock/arrow angled up,down,or straight in??
The nock was pointing in the opposite direction from the side it landed. So if you imagine an arrow path coming from the bow... if the arrow curved left, the nock would be pointing right and when the arrow curved right, the nock pointed left. Vertically, it was straight in.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Tools such as OT2 are great if 1) You're doing your initial set up and want some info to help choose a shaft, 2) You arean accomplished shooter with good consistent form and release, 3) You're using a mechanical release.
You're now at the point where reality and theory part ways. Barring false indications caused by problems such as fletch interference, or a spine so stiff the arrow clanks against the riser, then a weak spine is a weak spine for your bow and how you're shooting it. Tune accordingly.
Hunter steve's reference is a good one to start. However it doesn't address the use of a plunger. Go to "Tuning for Tens" or the Easton tuning guide for more in depth info.
I'm at work right now and unable to provide those links this red hot second. Perhaps later unless some one beats me to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts