Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to talking to a customer where I work yesterday about "serious" bow shooting. From what I gathered, I could tell the guy was quite good as he talked very matter-of-factly. Well In talking to him I made, what after thinking about it, a strange statement. I told him that, "since I committed to back tension I catch myself being more concerned with how the shot felt than where the arrow hit!" :confused: He actually said to me that I would be a coaches "dream come true"! Well I doubt if I would agree with that, but I will say, I actually hit the target more when I am focused on a good feeling shot without caring to much about where the arrow goes.

MAKE SENSE OF THAT!!!! :loco:

Does anyone else here ever catch his/herself getting more satisfaction from the way a shot feels/breaks than seeing a bullseye?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I do that all the time. And even if the shot isnt great i still feel good that the shot went off correctly. Having a grat shot will lead to better accuracy is my theory. So i am rite there with with you.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
After the target panic problems I had. Yes, I get very excited after a shoot if I know that my form was sound during the entire shoot, regardless of score. I had target panic so bad I would have clean misses on the twenty yard chip shots. So yes, I do focus more on form right now then where the arrow hits. And the more I focus on form, I have much fewer of the bad shots.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
all the time!

When the shot goes off good and it feels right I don't care what happens with the arrow. (practicing)

On the other side when I have a shot I punch (thumb) and it goes in the "x" I get frustrated!

The best feeling is the shot feeling great and going off right and the arrow in the x. Awesome.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
almost everytime i have a shot that goes off that feels good, it's an X.
when people start caring about where their shot ends up, they create bad habits and usiually end up getting tense, and the end result is almost always a poor shot!

·
Registered
862 Posts
I do it all the time. I base my "good" shots from the way it feels and not where it hits. I find that I shoot tighter groups when I concentrate on good form and shot execution.

·
SuperToon'd
11,558 Posts
well if the shot feels great and the arrow is off target = not good

if the shot feels off and arrow is dead on = better

if the shot feels great and is in the x = perfect

if your not hitting the x or not feeling good about the shot at the same time = you need more practice............:darkbeer:

·
Registered
9,931 Posts
you can only control how the shot goes off, not where the arrow goes, that's the bow's job.
You can control where the arrow goes by leaning the opposite way. When the shoot goes off and it is going to hit left, lean to the right and it will pull it back in. It's called body english. :D

·
SuperToon'd
11,558 Posts
You can control where the arrow goes by leaning the opposite way. When the shoot goes off and it is going to hit left, lean to the right and it will pull it back in. It's called body english. :D
yeah , but who has time?

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks

Well then at least I know I am not :wacko: or if I am there are a few others like me.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
After advice from another shooter I actually have started practicing just keeping track of the shots the felt good and not worried about score. Just trying to get the percentage of good feeling shoots/ totals shots taken higher. The idea is if you shoot 100% of your shots where the release, sight picture and everything just felt good, then you should shoot 100% x's or atleast better than if some shots weren't good. Sometimes just a change in focus during practice helps too.

·
Just beat Terry Club
9,314 Posts
Te last 3D shoot I shot my score was pretty bad to say the least, BUT I didn't have to let down once (40 targets) and a lot of the shots felt good.
Same for the last few practice sessions for me. Bow going off nice. I'm convinced that the 3 yard shots in my basement just focusing on form are starting to pay off. There are some weeks that is all I get to do due to weather, family and work. Keeps the muscle memory going though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts