Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my Charger out for a spin today at the range began shooting 20 yards, hitting 3 inches low with left and rights being perfect. Thought it might just be me so I shot 3 arrows again same thing. Tried 30 yards then 40 yards, same thing. End up raising the rest a tad problem solved.

After that I went home just shot at 10 yards to see, it was a inch and half low. I didn't know what was going on so I checked my nocking and level starting from scratch. Ended up raising the rest even more and got it all dialed back in. Have any of you brought your bow out to shoot and your tune is all over the place, or it's just me?

PS: My rest bolt was always snugged and not stripped either.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
that happened to me when I put new strings on a bow although I knew it was going to happen. I was younger and broke and couldn't afford the pre-stretched strings. I got it dialed in fairly well once I put the new ones on. After a bit of shooting, my tune was crazy due to the stretch. But it never happened randomly like yours.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I shoot throughout the day, every day.

I might be banging 2 inches left for 2 days, then hit it again with a tiny tweak in form and back to center. No sight changes.

Bows are crazy. I don't make any sight changes unless it is 100% sure.

I don't start moving the sights until many arrows have shown me that I have to move. It's too easy to chase your tail with a bow.

I have been hitting about 3 inches right for almost 3 days now with my new 448.5 grain arrows. I didn't touch a thing on my sights. Today, I dropped my elbow a tad, and concentrated on float. Dead center all day today. Bows are crazy!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
So I took my Charger out for a spin today at the range began shooting 20 yards, hitting 3 inches low with left and rights being perfect. Thought it might just be me so I shot 3 arrows again same thing. Tried 30 yards then 40 yards, same thing. End up raising the rest a tad problem solved.

After that I went home just shot at 10 yards to see, it was a inch and half low. I didn't know what was going on so I checked my nocking and level starting from scratch. Ended up raising the rest even more and got it all dialed back in. Have any of you brought your bow out to shoot and your tune is all over the place, or it's just me?

PS: My rest bolt was always snugged and not stripped either.
Move the rest to adjust arrow flight - paper tune, walk back, bare shaft, French tune, whatever. Then leave the rest alone, never move it. If the position of the rest was marked and the bow had been tuned for you when you bought it, move it back to original position. Move the sight to adjust the point of impact to the center of target.

·
Registered
703 Posts
^^^^^^^
Sights, nock points, and rests normally cannot move themselves. (assuming you check them for tightness from time to time)

Anchor points, and grip seem to change all by themselves.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I have a theory, could be wrong, but I have experienced similar "problems". I recently came across Ken Johnson's (Nighthawk Archery) video wherein he discusses the correlation between lighting conditions (bright/dim/angle) and a round peep sight. These variables in conjunction with your eyesight can have an effect on how you perceive the hole in your peep, which effects alignment with your sight housing/pin. Ken refers to this as defraction / fuzzing. You don't really notice the slight variances caused by the varying angles and intensity of light, but it has a huge effect down range. I have attached the link to Nighthawk Archery...watch Ken's video. After watching the video, go out and shoot your rig over the course of a day or two, at different times of day and light. I think you will find Ken's information to be true.

Since watching this video, I have gone out and shot morning, noon, and evening for three days...each day I also moved my target to a different spot in the yard (just trying to create as many angles to the sun and light conditions as possible... I am shooting a 2015 Elite Synergy with a 1/4" Super Deuce round peep - Sword sight 2"housing (I have no problem shooting consistent 1-2"groups from 30-40yds). I have yet to have the exact same point of impact on the target each time I have gone out- the groups sizing is consistent, but left/right/high/low changes with the angle of the sun, and is intensified the dimmer the lighting conditions get.

So, before you drive yourself nuts thinking your rig is screwed up, listen to what Ken has to say. I have ordered one of Ken's #4 specialty peeps, which is designed to eliminate the light defraction / fuzzing. When it arrives, I will follow up with my evaluation.

http://m.nitehawkarchery.com/en/app/peep-sight--video/4824958/36/

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I shot my bow almost daily the past 4 months I've had my bow and it just happened yesterday. My anchors always been solid never had any issues in the past. Im starting the suspect that its my string nock in my d loop that might have worn down causing the nock to sit inconsistent?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Try this if you get a chance. Shoot a group of arrows and settle into the comfortable area in your valley. Then shoot another group but pull moderately hard into the back wall. If you are getting variation, you might need to adjust timing or possibly try creep tuning. Also, try put more low pressure on your grip and see if that changes impact point. Keep mental notes of the impact differences and use them as a form reference asset during warmup in the future.

·
The Rut Rascal
1,744 Posts
sounds like cable stretch where strings elongated due to the heat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts