Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been shooting thunderheads 125 with compound since mid 80's never lost a deer. any thoughts on theese striker G5's 100 grain on firebolts shooting a vortex?

·
Registered
11,775 Posts
don't fix it,, if it ain't broke?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Some people seem to love them, U may have to try some testing with different heads to find what works best!!!

·
Registered
11,775 Posts
the faster they fly (thunderhead 125s ) however the more they plane, i shot them out of my 380 @ 365 fps. and could still get good flight but just had to adjust scope and HHA speed dial to poi, shot about 4" low at 30 yds vs. 100 grn. spitfires of course!
I believe with the speed and ke of a 435 grn arrow , @ 370 fps would probably go right through both shoulders if need be!

·
Premium Member
7,649 Posts
"I believe with the speed and ke of a 435 grn arrow , @ 370 fps would probably go right through both shoulders if need be!"

and the tree behind it ! lol

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
i used them two years ago. sharpest broadhead i ever used. also they fly just like field tips. great broadhead!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys . crossbow still new to me. done homework think i've done good with vortex! been shotin the last 3 nites gettin 2-3 in pattens at 30!

·
Registered
11,775 Posts
thanks guys . crossbow still new to me. done homework think i've done good with vortex! been shotin the last 3 nites gettin 2-3 in pattens at 30!
Captain , how does your bow group at 30 with field tips?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
within in 3 in i feel i need a 1-1/2 extention on bow . see they make a kit . gonna spend $ see if it helps keep me more comortable. i have a gell pack i use on my 308 gonna see if it gives me a little more extension also to see if thats the case

·
Registered
11,775 Posts
gotcha, are you shooting off of a rest? that vortex is a sweet shooter I hear, should be careful not to shoot groups and destroy arrows at 30 !!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
any thoughts on theese striker G5's 100 grain on firebolts shooting a vortex?
Been shooting them for several years with a few kills under their belt. IMO, a great flying head for most crossbows. I have shot the Strikers from three different bows and all have shot well with them.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I shoot the Striker Magnums for the last couple years and they fly right with my field points and are really sharp out of the box.
Inch and a half cutting diameter for a fixed head!Leaves a blood trail a blind man could follow.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I've shot Thunderhead 125's since the 1980's on Recurves, Verticals and Crossbows and they've never failed me. A store closed by where I live I and bought a case of them with replacement blades cheap back then when they liquidated their stock and am still using them. Like captaincammo said, they never fail. I don't have a bow that shoots faster than 330 fps and they are doing fine. However, when I finally opt for a higher velocity bow one day, I may have to rethink my broadhead situation if they plane on me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts