Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i have been reading an awfully lot about these new G5 strikers. Look and sound pretty cool, and pretty tough. Also like what i hear about the sharpness.

So seems like last year about this time everyone was ranting and raving about the slick tricks.

So my question is, which one do you guys think is a better broadhead. Which one is sharper, which one is more durable, which one groups closer to FPs, and which one is going to put game down faster?

I would love to see someone who has shot both heads to lay down a good side by side comparison of the two.

I already ordered my new Grim Reaper Extras, but I am thinking about ording some of these strikers too.

BTG19

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
I sell Tricks and Strikers, but in my mind the Slick Trick is the best replaceable blade broadhead made:)

·
Registered
801 Posts
Can't go wrong with either one. Pretty tough to get a side by side comparision with all the variables involved.

I think outta the box the Strikers/Bass Pro Blackouts (same thing but cheaper) are probably a bit sharper, they definately hold an edge too after shooting from what I've seen. I've heard some loose blade comments on them though too. I just bought some Blackouts to try them this year, and will also probably buys some ST in the future as well to try.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
If they both fly to the same POI, AND the Slick Trick Blades are comparable now, AND assuming they are both bulletproof, as much as I like the sound of the Strikers there is one thing that would always make them a second choice for me.............1 extra blade.

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Ask and ye shall recieve my little grasshopper.....:wink:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=346424

I'll note that in my review I hadn't recieved the new 2006 Slick Trick blades yet. Since then, I've gotten some and they are EVERY bit as sharp as the Striker blades.:thumb:

The Slick Trick has no weaknesses now.... neither does the Striker. Just depends on if you want a 3 blade head or a 4 blade head.

-ZA

bowtechguy19 said:
I would love to see someone who has shot both heads to lay down a good side by side comparison of the two.

BTG19

·
Reverend
6,940 Posts
Matt / PA said:
If they both fly to the same POI, AND the Slick Trick Blades are comparable now, AND assuming they are both bulletproof, as much as I like the sound of the Strikers there is one thing that would always make them a second choice for me.............1 extra blade.
:amen:

Aside from the great info provided by ZA206 in the above mentioned thread, I'd like to know how they compare in penetration and durability tests too...

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ttt

·
Registered
24 Posts
I also could not decide so I got a pack of each and have been shooting them side by side for a couple of weeks now.Out of the pack I think the strikers are a sharpest blades I have ever seen. They both shoot really well but the strikers are a little quieter in flight but that probbaly makes little difference. I do have one ST that I just can't make spin true- no matter what arrow or what I do. I think the ferule must be bent. Based on my experiences of the last 2 weeks, I think I will be shooting the strikers on an elk hunt starting Tuesday. I do have one striker that just seems to be in a zone by itself and centers a dot just about every time all the way to 60 yards. It is my #1 arrow and I hope to put it through a 6x6 next week sometime. As for penetration, I just have to believe the strikers get the nod because of 1 less blade and a not so steep blade angle. I think the ST's are a fine head and wouldn't hesitate to shoot it either and hell, I could still change my mind. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Slick Tricks for sure! One more blade for extra cutting.

Slick Tricks are by far the best broadhead I have used in 56 years of bowhunting.

As far as penetration, I have had complete pass thoughs an every Whitetail I have shot using the STs and this includes one ground shot deer where the arrow exitted through the far side shoulder and into a tree so deep that it is still there! I'll cur it out this year with a machety(sp).

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i had already been contemplating picking up a pack of ST's, then I saw those strikers and everyone was talking them up so much.

But since the "new" ST blades are suppose to be everybit as sharp as the Strikers, I will have to go with the ST's now. It only makes sense.

Is there a certain place online that I can be sure that I am getting the new blades? Also how can I get a free pack of those Sonics heads?

Thanks,

BTG19

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
I'll have to see if I can get my hands on one of the new Slick Tricks. I am very impressed with the G5 Strikers and would love to compare the penetration of the ST's vs the Strikers on my little phonebook:wink:
So far I have shot the Sonic, G5 Striker, SpitFire 3 blade, SpitFire 2 blade into the Cleveland PhoneBook (threads posted on ArcheryTalK with pics) and later this week plan to shoot the ThunderHeads and Silver Flame. I don't have any Slick Tricks, but if I can find some I will see about shooting them side-by-side
In case you are interested and don't want to search here are the links

Sonic and G5 Striker
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=379363

SpitFire 3 blade and 2 blade
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=380529

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
I have shot them side by side, what would you like to know? Plus many others side by side.......we have it good these days compared to many years ago when we didnt have the selection and quality of BH's we do now.

On deer sized game, all will work as long as the bow is tuned to the arrow/bh combo, the arrow/bh combo is straight, the bh very sharp, and the shooter putting it where it is supposed to go! <----- Bottom line!

·
Registered
36,021 Posts
Compared to the old Slick tricks the Strikers are better.

They fly the same...both shoot with my FP.

The Slicks haver a little thicker blade
The Strikers have a larger cutting diameter
The SLicks have one extra blade....not sure it matters
The Strikers assemble and disassemble easier...But the tricks are easy once you figure it out.

If you can get your hands on the new Slicks, I would not hesitate using them.

I love the new Striker, and will use them until I find something better.

The blackouts are not identical to the Strikers...but are similar, I believe the Striker has a 1 1/8 CD compared to 1 1/16 on the blackouts.

The blade probelm has been fixed my G5 and if you end up with a first production run G5 will replace them FOC.

I have also heard RUMOR that the new SLick tricks have some blade rattle problems....this is rumor only I do not know for sure.

Strikers are my favorite broadhead with Slick tricks being second favorite..

The montecs are also good, and the new ones are sharper.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I really don't think it matters which one.

I was going to try the slicktricks, but didn't want to wait and wait and wait to get them. I can't see either one being leaps and bounds above the other.

I did end up buying the blackouts, just because I'm "frugal" :wink: . They are made by G5 and they look to be the same except 1/16" smaller. Heck for $10 less per pack, they are a STEAL, IMO.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Actually, if you want to compare Tricks to 3 blade heads be sure and compare the Standards. I made them to go head to head for those who were looking for greater penetration than the Magnums by cutting less.

The Standards cut more than a 1 1/8" 3 blade head, and will open as good a hole with the 4 blades, and invite accuracy, strength and penetration comparison with any head with equal cut.

If you are thinking the larger diameter will have a greater chance of cutting a vein or artery, draw both cuts and just see how they match up depending on how they are oriented to an artery or vein on the outskirts.

In comparison of anything, always be careful to compare apples to apples.

As to penetration, 5 shot has tested both, ask him.

Availability of Tricks, that is an angry story.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts