Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My peep sight after every shot is twisted maybe 45 degrees I have had multiple shops work on it and nothing has changed permanently. It will fix for a little bit then go back. The string loop will literally be facing right after every shot. I shoot a Mathews No Cam stock strings. Had the same problem with past two bows. I'm thinking it is something I am doing. Any advice on what to do to the bow or what I might be doing? Thanks

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
My peep sight after every shot is twisted maybe 45 degrees I have had multiple shops work on it and nothing has changed permanently. It will fix for a little bit then go back. The string loop will literally be facing right after every shot. I shoot a Mathews No Cam stock strings. Had the same problem with past two bows. I'm thinking it is something I am doing. Any advice on what to do to the bow or what I might be doing? Thanks
You said "The string loop will literally be facing right after every shot."
Does the peep sight move to the right too?
If not, the loop might be loose and slipping to the side. (spinning on the center serving)
If the peep is twisting too, the only way to fix it completely is to get a nice, custom string/cable set.
60X makes some great ones (^^^^see previous post^^^).

·
#teamPSE
Elite bows, Victory arrows, Axcel sights, Hamskea rests, Magnus broadheads
5,693 Posts
You said "The string loop will literally be facing right after every shot."
Does the peep sight move to the right too?
If not, the loop might be loose and slipping to the side. (spinning on the center serving)
If the peep is twisting too, the only way to fix it completely is to get a nice, custom string/cable set.
60X makes some great ones.
does he mean the loop is facing to the right or right as in correct?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both the peep and sight will be facing right. Weird thing is I have had this problem with 3 straight bows. And had the string twisted with the previous bow and still had the same problem. Thanks guys

·
Registered
21,351 Posts
Well I don't think anyone would say that Mathews has stellar stock strings. Get a new, good string and it should fix the situation.

·
Registered
967 Posts
If you order a quality string/cable set, order exactly in specs you need and than never ever twist the string. I also would stay away from string leeches, monkeytails and such.
Better order with speed sleaves as they are posioned on the serving instead being between the threads. It just saves a lot of headaches!

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Not sure where in Oklahoma you're located Sooner96 but if you want I can take a look at it. Mathews strings are far from great but it could be that it just needs some adjustment. Whatever the problem is I can fix you up. I'll send you my info.
where are you located at?

·
Registered
12,259 Posts
Sounds like the string is just going to be a twister.
Is "twister" a technical term? Not sure I'm familiar with it.

I spent the better part of an hour yesterday trying to line up the peep after I had tied it in using the method of serving down the string, around the peep, down the string, and then back serving it. No matter how I twisted the string, I could not get the peep lined up. (Moved the D loop around too.)

I finally gave it up and went back to just tying in the peep and forgetting about the "fancy" tie in.

Now I sleep better and have moved on to more serious issues...like what color strings are faster.

·
Banned
315 Posts
You need some string twisting to get it straight again (need press). Should be easy fix.
I am going through this right now but mine is about a 1/8 th of a twist out. I use my bow press, take one end of the string off and give it a turn TIGHTER
I tried loosening , untwisting the other end and didn't work so I tightened the other end and that worked
You can build a really nice $20 press

·
Registered
21,351 Posts
Is "twister" a technical term? Not sure I'm familiar with it.

I spent the better part of an hour yesterday trying to line up the peep after I had tied it in using the method of serving down the string, around the peep, down the string, and then back serving it. No matter how I twisted the string, I could not get the peep lined up. (Moved the D loop around too.)

I finally gave it up and went back to just tying in the peep and forgetting about the "fancy" tie in.

Now I sleep better and have moved on to more serious issues...like what color strings are faster.
You probably served in the wrong direction based on how the string was twisted. Just like a center or end serving, if you get a peep serving tight enough and go the wrong way, you can cause rotation.

·
Registered
20,937 Posts
A bowstring needs a certain amount of twists in it in order to keep from twisting...some more than others. I was having an issue with inconsistent twisting on one of my bows and it was with a good set...until I added some twists. I ended up adding about 10-12 twists and it took out about 75% of the twisting. Then it was about fine tuning...with 1 or 2 twists top/bottom.

Being a factory set from a company that doesn't invest in high quality threads, I would consider getting some new strings from someone like 60x...that will often solve many problems.

·
One Shot
9,208 Posts
If you order a quality string/cable set, order exactly in specs you need and than never ever twist the string. I also would stay away from string leeches, monkeytails and such.
Better order with speed sleaves as they are posioned on the serving instead being between the threads. It just saves a lot of headaches!
Never ever twist the string? Where did you get this concept? The string is part of the bow and should be used in the tuning process (string length is critical to draw length, draw weight, initial cam positioning) as well as twisted/untwisted to set peep straight. What is your plan if the peep does not line up? When positioned for proper height, the peep lining up right off the bat is just luck.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Never ever twist the string? Where did you get this concept? The string is part of the bow and should be used in the tuning process (string length is critical to draw length, draw weight, initial cam positioning) as well as twisted/untwisted to set peep straight. What is your plan if the peep does not line up? When positioned for proper height, the peep lining up right off the bat is just luck.
To get the peep lined up, I agree but thats only one twist in or out. Within that, only one twist, you have options to get it right. Twisting on the bottom cam side has a different effect
than twisting on the top cam side. Think for possible combinations for that matter. There are more combo`s than you first might think! So, only one twist in or out! All other tuning,
draw-lenght, draw-weight, cam-starting position and cam-lean should be done with the cables. Twisting your string to get it to proper lenght can only mean that your string was build
out of specs!

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Most stock strings are junk I always order new strings same day I order or get my bow. You have 2 options to fix the issue buy custom strings or start shooting peep with tube

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.