Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Protec with XT 3000 limbs give me an ATA of 41"

I am considering buying another Protec with XT 2000 limbs with an ATA of 37.75"

Will the 3.25" less ATA significantly affect the string angle and thus alter my anchor alot?

Thanks
OX

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
I think so.

My XT2000 always fit my anchor better than my XT3000 limbed one.

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob, I've always shot long ATAs and my ingrained anchor is kinda comfortable with that. I just don't want to be all hunkered down trying to touch the string to my nose or anchoring much farther up my jaw. :eek:

ox

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Your anchor should be the same as long as both bows have the same draw length. If you are shooting fingers, the shorter ATA will give you a slight bit more finger pinch, but it should not be a huge difference.

Automan

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Oxford said:
Thanks Bob, I've always shot long ATAs and my ingrained anchor is kinda comfortable with that. I just don't want to be all hunkered down trying to touch the string to my nose or anchoring much farther up my jaw. :eek:

ox
To me my Ultratec with 3Ks was fine, as was a UT with 2Ks, Protec with 2Ks.....couldn't stand the Protec with 3Ks. Weird I know, just never got comfy with it.

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Automan,

Wouldn't the anchor change since the string angle is less and therefore farther from my nose than with a 41" ATA string angle?

The DL will be the same on both and I am shooting with a release.

ox

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bobmuley said:
To me my Ultratec with 3Ks was fine, as was a UT with 2Ks, Protec with 2Ks.....couldn't stand the Protec with 3Ks. Weird I know, just never got comfy with it.

LOL I've shot my Protec with 3K for years. I think I am genetically mutated to that spec :eek: It's as comfy as a feather bed.

ox

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
I know this is an old bit of advice, but you should shoot both A2A's and find out for yourself.

For me, when I went from a 41 to a 37" A2A, it did not make any difference to my "felt" anchor point or stance. But part of this depends not just on the Axle to Axle, but the 'string on the cam' locations. Remember that a smaller cam on a 41" axle to axle may give the same acutal string angle as a large cam on a shorter bow.

Wow, hard to explain, but I hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I could tell a signifigant diffrence between the exact 2 your described

However, my anchor never changed..For me 36" gets to be touchy and 34" required a little reworking in many cases

One thing I am finding is that it is easier to find the center of the bubble and keep the bubble centered with longer Ato A bows

·
has been that never was
14,362 Posts
I was able to keep the same anchor between a 40.5" ATA and a 37.5" ATA but I did have to give up on the nose touching the string. If I tried to touch with my nose I felt myelf pulling a bit long or leaning into the string.

When I went to the 34" I had to adjust my anchor a bit but that was mostly about adjusting to the eye to peep distance vs. a longer ATA.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
If you use a loop you may find that you need to shorten it a bit to maintain your reference points.. The string angle will change a little or at least it did for me… The problem I ran into was facial contact with the string and arrow as the nock point ended up a bit behind my eye to maintain the string on the tip of my nose. Something I was unable to give up after so many years… I never did like the shorter bows and got rid of it quickly.. But my dl is 29.0" or there abouts..

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yep - I want to continue to use nose/string contact without having to really "distort" my ingrained anchor to manage it. I'm a short draw - 26.5" so that might lessen the angle issue.

I wonder if those limb specs for ATA are with the limbs maxed out and bolted all the way down

OX

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Oxford said:
yep - I want to continue to use nose/string contact without having to really "distort" my ingrained anchor to manage it. I'm a short draw - 26.5" so that might lessen the angle issue.

I wonder if those limb specs for ATA are with the limbs maxed out and bolted all the way down

OX
At 26.5" the string angle should be almost perfect with the shorter bow... my guess would be close to 45 degrees...

yep maxed out... but like Steve said the cam diameter plays a part in the geometry cause the string ain't coming from the Axles...:wink:

·
Banned
910 Posts
its definitely going to feel different. Same riser, but with different limbs its a really a different bow. It will probably change a lil bit at least. I have xt2000 and xt3000 bows. the bow in the grip hand feels the same but they feel and draw different and the wall is different, even with the same cams. Your peep will line up quite a bit different as well.

·
Banned
910 Posts
all Im saying is its gonna feel different. With xt 2000, the peep will be further away from your eye, the wall and hold will probably be a lil better. It wont be as smooth. I have a long draw so maybe its more apparent with those attributes, i couldnt tell ya there.

·
Premium Member
5,745 Posts
Oxford said:
my current protecs have CC+ cams with XT 3000 and the one i might buy is Kim Lassiter's (black cat) with Spirals at 40/50lbs at 26.5" DL. and XT 2000

I thought the harder wall would be fun to play with to see if I get a better hold at anchor.

http://www.hoyt.com/technical/charts.tpl?page=03_protec.inc
I don't think Hoyt offers Spirals on XT 3000 or higher
Ox,

At your dl you won't notice much difference. In fact I'd hazard a guess that you might like the shorter ATA. Knuckle draggers such as myself have a hard time with short ATA bows, you shouldn't....... consider yourself evolved :D

Also, I think you will like the wall on the spiral cams...... much better than the other choices available from the Apple :wink:

·
Occam's Razor
8,567 Posts
Oxford said:
Thanks guys...anymore?
Yea, don't do it.:tongue:

I hate those bows, short brace feels totally strange just to knock an arrow.......shoot it first......heck, I went from 3000 to the LX Pro...............deflex all the way......................but then I'm 6'2" so maybe it's better for me, but I'm no knuckle dragger like the Eagle man:) ............ck

1 - 20 of 21 Posts