Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used many good ideas from this web site, so I thought I should post an idea of my own. Please see the attached pics of the string arrestor I made for my TurboHawk. My original intention was to make the string arrestors designed by floridabowman in another thread. It was a great design , but this small bow doesn't have enough space to fit this hardware.

The materials used are: a used aluminum arrow, a rubber stop, two aluminum spacers, two cable clamps, and two set screws.

The weight added to the bow is minimal. <.10 lbs. It is very light. The picture quality sucks but I hope the idea comes through.

I replaced the set screws retaining the cable guide with ones long enough for the spacers.

The parts holding the arrow shaft are rubber covered cable clamps that i had laying around. They are cheap at the big box home improvement store.

I can post better pictures when my camera is repaired. Let me know what you think. Hope this helps you.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
From the first picture it looks like the cable slide might hit the rubber stop at full draw. The camera angle makes it looks close but could actually have enough clearance. Just something to check into before you in the woods and the moment of truth happens. Also I'm unsure of the mounting holes. Did you use the cable rod holes and drill through the cable rod itself? I'm confused:dontknow:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually there is just enough clearance for the cable guide, the arrow, and for my line of sight. Granted, it is tight. I have used it a few times. There is clearance.

I replaced the set screws holding the cable guide shaft with longer set screws. It's difficult to see in the pictures, but imagine studs where the existing set screws are retaining the shaft. I replaced the set screws with longer ones. Then I used 1/2" long spacers for the right position in regards to the string.

Sure it's hard visualize from the curmmy pictures. I'll try to post some better ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a couple more pics

I added a couple close-ups. Unfortunately, my old digital camera won't take very good pictures with indoor light. You'll see there is ample clearance with my bow. It made a world of difference in noise and comfort.

The rubber stopper is a shock absorbing urethane bumper from an industrial supply place.

Maybe I'll try a few outdoor shots this weekend, weather permitting.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Is the force of the string hitting the stopper gonna make the arrow cut through the stopper after time. If so you might wanna keep your eye on it so it dont cut your string. if you havent done it already maybe you can fill the end of the arrow shaft with epoxy or something to make it solid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the force of the string hitting the stopper gonna make the arrow cut through the stopper after time. If so you might wanna keep your eye on it so it dont cut your string. if you havent done it already maybe you can fill the end of the arrow shaft with epoxy or something to make it solid.
The rubber stopper has a metal insert with a 5/16 threaded stud. I epoxied it into the shaft.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,795 Posts
You might want to consider adding some more serving to the bow string, enough to completely cover the rubber stop. That would add some protection to the string.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
894 Posts
Urethane bumper look hard. If it seems loud you may want to try something more soft like an old limbsaver. Other than that looks good :thumbs_up
 

·
Venison Junkie
Joined
·
1,274 Posts
You might want to run your serving up above the top of the suppressor to prevent damaging your string.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes the bow is at the shop tonight having the serving added.

Actually, the bumper is pretty soft. It is soft urethane, which can come very so or very hard. I think the durometer was 40 Shore A, which is the scale used to measure rubber hardness. It is about as hard as a pink eraser.

It made a huge difference in noise and vibration. I had to take it on and off a couple times because I could hardly believe the difference. The bow is pretty quiet and smooth shooting before, but the stopper took the last of the twang out of the release. I'ts hard to say how much of a difference it makes directly to the accuracy, but I'm sure anything that improves your comfort in shooting will ultimately make an improvement in accuracy.

Also, the stopper does not block my view through the sights. That was a concern when I was first building it because I knew it was close. I was at the range shooting it again today without any problems. I suppose, depending on the shape of your bow, you may need to adjust the position, if you build this for yourself.

I'd be interested to hear how it goes if anyone tries this for them self.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
a few more pics

The weather was nice today so I decided to go shooting in the back yard and I also took some better photos outside. They turned out better than the last ones.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,558 Posts
Very elegant design.

I love it that you used existing set screw tapped holes and got 'double duty' out of them.

Heaviest part there is the urethane stopper.

...I replaced the set screws holding the cable guide shaft with longer set screws. It's difficult to see in the pictures, but imagine studs where the existing set screws are retaining the shaft....
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top