Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for the professional string builders, or someone who knows will do just fine.

Let's say I call you and say I need a set of strings for my bow. 03' Parker EZ draw 33. How do you know how to make that string without me measuring and telling you the end serving lengths and positions. And how long the split is in the cable, and what not. For me to do a string for someone (mind you I'm not doing this as a living, infact I've never taken a dollor for my strings) I have to have their bow, or I have to take measurements.

I have seen the generic formulas, but those wouldn't work on a switchback, when you have the long serving. If it's a trade secret, please just respond with it's a trade secret, and I'll start trying harder to come up with a solution. But, if you can help me out I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
P.M.'s

If you'd like to help, but don't want to announce your trade secrets, I will promise to keep it :zip: if you'll kindly P.M. me.

Ben

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,449 Posts
As for myself, I've kept records on every bow I've done. Two cam bows can be figured out within reason based on collected data. Still, there are many bows (such as one-cams) that you really need to have the specs. On any bow I've not seen before I generally have to ask for the specs.

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EPLC said:
As for myself, I've kept records on every bow I've done. Two cam bows can be figured out within reason based on collected data. Still, there are many bows (such as one-cams) that you really need to have the specs. On any bow I've not seen before I generally have to ask for the specs.
I keep records on all the different bows I've done also. It's only about 10 bows long though. :wink: maybe everyone could contribute to a book, and we could call it the string builders bible. :lol: :lightbulb .

Thanks for the reply, I'm open for more,
Ben

·
Premium Member
5,745 Posts
By no means am I a professional string builder........ just a hobbiest that builds about 30-40 a year for my use and a some club members.

Paul (EPLC) had some good advice. I also keep records of what I've made. Twin cams are generally easy, most have at max of 12-13" end serving on the strings. Cables about 7-9", the split yoke is minimal.

Most bows have the center serving offset from the center point of ATA by about 1 to 1 1/2". I serve the center serving 6" long for release shooters, longer on the low side for finger shooters.

As Paul said, on one-cam bows you really need to know the specifics for the servings on the string. I have called bow manufacturers several times to find out this information if I can't get it off the actual bow. Most will help out.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I believe I had listed what I came up with and you saw it. At least it works for me if I can't measure the bow. What fries my butt (besides a blowtorch about waist high) is doing something like Mathews has on the string for the cable guide (you know, the 40" serving) and being a bit short and having to redo it.

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IroquoisArcher said:
I believe I had listed what I came up with and you saw it. At least it works for me if I can't measure the bow. What fries my butt (besides a blowtorch about waist high) is doing something like Mathews has on the string for the cable guide (you know, the 40" serving) and being a bit short and having to redo it.
Yeah, I like your method, just wondering how everyone else does it. The formula seems great when all else fails.

Thanks for the replys,
Ben

1 - 7 of 7 Posts