Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I came across a really good deal on a string jig with a ton of string material some of it I know what it is and what it is used for others not so sure. I was wondering if someone could give me some insight on what each is used for and strand counts. I tried going to brownell and some other sites and can not seem to find info. on some of it.

String material:

Trophy
Ultra cam
Fast flight S4
Fast flight Spectra
B50

Serving material:
Brownell S4
Fast flight Spectra

Also on the strand count side of things, I had built a set of strings using the Trophy and the strings were to big, after counting the strands on the bow for the set it only had 14 strands. So the question is do I build what is on the bow or do I need different material? The string was built on the length given me before the bow came to the shop. This seems like this is going to something I am going to have to deal with on some of the PSE main line bows(ie: Stinger X).

·
Registered
943 Posts
The only material on the list that I have used is trophy, which is 452x with gore added. With that I would use 22 strands on string and 24 on cables. I would do a lot of practicing building before I would make strings to sell. There is a lot of info on string building in the DYI forum

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
Lay up some 12" long strings and practice. You will see how things go together and also what strand counts and serving diameter gives you good cam groove fit and nock fit.

You can also look on BCY site and see the recommended strand counts and Brownell will also probably give you the recommended strand counts and serving sizes. If you don't see the information on line then call the companies and they will give you the information.

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
The reason it was a good deal is because the only good materials in the bunch is trophy and UC. Everything else is not worth using.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Has anyone figured out how to configure the exact length needed for measurements on bows? I mean is there an equation for it?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The majority of it is Trophy 32 spools and 18 UC well worth the pric since they are all 1/4 lbs spools at what they cost

1 - 6 of 6 Posts