Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got tired of paying people to install strings,peeps,cables and any other things that requires a press. I bought a LCA press last week and was trying to find a chart that tells you when to add twist or take out twist. I remember a few years ago seeing a chart with pictures that explained where to add twist and how it affects axle to axle,brace height,and cam timing. I hope someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks

·
Registered
8,268 Posts
Screenshot_20200124-113341_Drive.jpg

It's a little different for hybrid cams as the buss cable controls draw weight while the control cable controls timing and sync.

·
(aka lug nut)
47,331 Posts
I got tired of paying people to install strings,peeps,cables and any other things that requires a press. I bought a LCA press last week and was trying to find a chart that tells you when to add twist or take out twist. I remember a few years ago seeing a chart with pictures that explained where to add twist and how it affects axle to axle,brace height,and cam timing. I hope someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks
If you have yoke legs that attach to the top axle, and you shoot thru a paper tuner. Let's say you get a left nock tear. Shorten the left yoke leg (add twists to the left yoke leg). You can also untwist the right yoke leg, to fix a left nock paper tear.

If you don't have yoke legs, and you want to get into cam shimming (installing spacers on the axle), to fix a left nock tear, you need to move the top cam sideways left (closer to the left end of the top axle). So, you need digital calipers, yeah, tape measure won't work, cuz you need to measure the width of the existing spacers on the left side of the top cam, and you need to measure the width of the existing spacers on the right side of the top cam. Need to measure in thousandths of an inch. Yeah, really. The idea is you keep the total width of all the spacers on the top axle, exactly the same. BUT, you install more skinny spacers on the left side of the top cam, and you install fatter (wider) spacers on the right side of the top cam.

Video about cam shimming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbtugvfbchQ

What is cam lean, why you need some amount of cam "pre-lean" when the bow is at brace height.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_ojjP0h5I0&t=27s

l_ojjP0h5I0&t=27s

·
Registered
22,535 Posts
Hey Alan.....who is the fellow doing the OB cam shimming video?

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Hey Alan.....who is the fellow doing the OB cam shimming video?
If you go to YouTube and view the video rather just in the window here, it says the gentleman's name id Kris Wall...

·
Registered
22,535 Posts
Thank you both.....I didn't go beyond AT on this one. Just wondering if I knew of him from the OB Facebook page.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts