Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shooting for almost a couple years now with my Hoyt Faktor 30. Gotten to the point where I can consistently put a 3-5 arrow group within 2" at 20 yards and 4-5" at 40 yards if not better sometimes. I haven't had a problem shooting left or right to any extent more than just not shooting properly and called misses.

I went to a video tech hunt at my local pro-shop for the first time today and about half way I fired and "explosion." My strings came off. They didn't bust, they came off the rail. I don't death grip and don't think I did during the hunt and had been very accurate up until that point. I'm not sure how they could have come off without death gripping and torquing the bow. I went downstairs and the pro-staffer took a look, the bow looked good, the strings looked good and he re-installed them. He added a new peep sight as mine wasn't tied in and fell out and I wanted an aluminum peep anyway. He timed it again, all was good. Went back up, sighted in, was two inches high, dead center still, made one adjustment and dead on at 20 yards.

My question/concerns. Should I be worried about the strings that blew off? He seemed to think they would be fine, and said I likely torqued it and just got lucky that two parts of the string were still holding tension (newbie kind of so not sure what part this was).

Any concerns with the bow even though it didn't crack?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
It's a Hoyt. They have some pretty hefty claims in regards to dry firing their bows. I wouldn't be concerned if your bow tech said you're alright. I dry fired my Faktor Turbo last year when I was practicing. I was running through arrows when my wife came out and started talking to me. I continued shooting while we talked but paused for a minute. Then I drew and released with no arrow. It derailed my string but that was it. There was no damage to the cams, riser, or limbs at all. Hoyts are built pretty tough.

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Not trying to be critical, as I have done this myself--but are you sure you had an arrow nocked?

I had a nock slip off my string and I didn't notice until I fired it. The strings came off the cams and I simply had them out back on. No problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
one possibility is you had a nock blow up. from shooting a lot of 3-d I have had this happen to me. the nock and arrow look fine but you shoot it, it sounds just like a dry fire. also I would think about how old your strings are or how many shots you have on them. they will stretch. I don't know if this is your case but just some ideas.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not trying to be critical, as I have done this myself--but are you sure you had an arrow nocked?

I had a nock slip off my string and I didn't notice until I fired it. The strings came off the cams and I simply had them out back on. No problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thinking back, this may be the case. I'm not too proud to admit I could make the mistake ;) Getting in the groove waiting your turn to go, I could have just pulled back and not realized that I wasn't loaded up.

Thank you the advice guys. I'll run some cotton over the limbs like one guy said.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I fired my bow a couple of months back without nocking an arrow. I've been shooting for 20 years and never even close to a dry fire before that. Fortunately nothing happened other than flinging a few harmonic damper cores onto the ground. The bow was an older Mathews Drenalin LD I use for 3D and some target league. Really tough bow. Checked it out, loaded an arrow and shot it.

Point is, the distraction thing and forgetting to nock an arrow happens a lot more than most shooters would like to admit. Easy to do at a busy 3D shoot.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sure glad I read this! Just dry fired my faktor 30 earlier today. Unbelievable. I cannot believe it happened. I was goofing around in a hurry to wrap up my practice sesh and got distracted on my phone for a second. Went to draw and pulled the trigger....derailed it and gave a a nice reminder on my forearm.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.