Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says what do you use and what is your favorite? I think the Flemish looks better but don't know if one is better than the other. Any pros and cons for either? Thanks Roscoe

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
I use a Flemish twist just because that's what I learned to make years ago. The jig I made is simple enough but I don't really need any jig at all.

I don't know if one type is actually "better" but I doubt that I could shoot the difference. LOL

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Flemish for me, I don't mind making them so I usually have a few on rotation…….you never know!

I can make and sometimes use endless loops, but I have never noticed enough (if any) difference to make me want to use them over the flemish.

Let me know if you need one Roscoe

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,248 Posts
About the only place you find Flemish twist strings any longer is traditional archery. Olympic style and compound use endless loop. While you will find many traditional shooters that use endless loop, you would be hard pressed to find an Olympic style or compound archer using Flemish twist. I have never seen one in use in any of the FITA shoots I have participated in. Flemish does look really nice on a wood bow. I use Flemish twist on my Falco longbow and endless loop on all my other bows.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I make and sell both. Personally I find that endless loop are easier to make more consistent. I also make a two color twist string that is endless. Either style will serve an individual well if made properly and becomes a matter of personal choice.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
About the only place you find Flemish twist strings any longer is traditional archery. Olympic style and compound use endless loop. While you will find many traditional shooters that use endless loop, you would be hard pressed to find an Olympic style or compound archer using Flemish twist. I have never seen one in use in any of the FITA shoots I have participated in. Flemish does look really nice on a wood bow. I use Flemish twist on my Falco longbow and endless loop on all my other bows.
I'm not sure what compounds or Olympic archery has to do with it?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Flemish twist for me - easy to increase/decrease brace height with a few twists of the string.

·
Registered
9,940 Posts
Flemish twist for me - easy to increase/decrease brace height with a few twists of the string.
Who said you can't twist an endless loop string? Doesn't make a hill of beans difference. A quality string built either way is just fine. Go with whatever you like. I personally prefer the endless loop strings because they don't fray where all the little tag ends come out of the loop twists.

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,248 Posts
I'm not sure what compounds or Olympic archery has to do with it?
They are all bows. They all have strings with loops on them. What makes a traditional bow so unique that it has string requirements different from other bows?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Who said you can't twist an endless loop string? Doesn't make a hill of beans difference. A quality string built either way is just fine. Go with whatever you like. I personally prefer the endless loop strings because they don't fray where all the little tag ends come out of the loop twists.
There is a limit though. I was set up with an endless loop string on my bear TD. I wanted to reduce the brace height but had no room to untwist - that was as long as it would go. On the other hand, Flemish twist can be untwisted to add length (to a certain extent!)

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
They are all bows. They all have strings with loops on them. What makes a traditional bow so unique that it has string requirements different from other bows?

You pointed out that the Olympic shooters and compound shooters are using endless loop. I was essentially trying to ask why I should care.

If you're saying that an endless string is better maybe you could tell me what parameters you're using to determine "better"?

·
Registered
9,940 Posts
There is a limit though. I was set up with an endless loop string on my bear TD. I wanted to reduce the brace height but had no room to untwist - that was as long as it would go. On the other hand, Flemish twist can be untwisted to add length (to a certain extent!)
Sure untwist the Flemish string until it unravels......probably not the best idea either. You need to be within 1/4-1/2" with your nominal string then twist a little. In the case of a string that is a 'bit' too short you can heat it up a little with friction from your fingers or a piece of leather rubbed up and down the string and it will often get you another 1/4" or so.

·
Registered
76,761 Posts
As the title says what do you use and what is your favorite? I think the Flemish looks better but don't know if one is better than the other. Any pros and cons for either? Thanks Roscoe
For me it's endless loop. Not as pretty to the primitive archery look and all, but endless loop for me all the way. As for performance, those flemish strings I have used in the past are in my OPINION, just as durable and effective.

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,248 Posts
You pointed out that the Olympic shooters and compound shooters are using endless loop. I was essentially trying to ask why I should care.

If you're saying that an endless string is better maybe you could tell me what parameters you're using to determine "better"?
The problem is that many folks make value statements on this question without data. I am trying not to do that. I am making observations. Continuous loop is the most commonly used string configuration. I feel safe saying that without data. Is that because it is better? Is it because it is easier to manufacture? Is it easier to make a quality string? Does it perform better?

The shooters that are most interesting in accuracy use continuous loop. There is a lot of R&D that goes on in Olympic archery around the world. Olympic archers use continuous loop. Then you hear that there are folks, like Rick Barbee, that can make really good Flemish twist strings. How does the best constructed Flemish string compare to the best constructed continuous loop? Would an Olympian switch to the best available Flemish string if available?

So what other selection criteria are there? I have heard some say that Flemish twist is quieter. Some folks point to the padding. Most point out that they like how they look. This issue has been discussed at length and it boils down to opinions and not data. I have my personal belief but I cannot substantiate it with facts.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
The problem is that many folks make value statements on this question without data. I am trying not to do that. I am making observations. Continuous loop is the most commonly used string configuration. I feel safe saying that without data. Is that because it is better? Is it because it is easier to manufacture? Is it easier to make a quality string? Does it perform better?

The shooters that are most interesting in accuracy use continuous loop. There is a lot of R&D that goes on in Olympic archery around the world. Olympic archers use continuous loop. Then you hear that there are folks, like Rick Barbee, that can make really good Flemish twist strings. How does the best constructed Flemish string compare to the best constructed continuous loop? Would an Olympian switch to the best available Flemish string if available?

So what other selection criteria are there? I have heard some say that Flemish twist is quieter. Some folks point to the padding. Most point out that they like how they look. This issue has been discussed at length and it boils down to opinions and not data. I have my personal belief but I cannot substantiate it with facts.
I think I understand what you're saying. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm not so good archer that i would give any advantage to other shooters. So i use endles loop. I had 1 flemish string but i broke after i tuned bracehight and instal string to strong. Never had problem with endles loop strings. I find that its little faster and thats why better.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I must be the only one who uses a flemish string on my FITA bow. I love flemish strings because they are nice to look at and they work well. They work as good as endless loop. I have a few endless loop and one of my longbows as one because the groves are small and a flemish string would not fit in there right.

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
I am totally agnostic. Whatever you like. I enjoy making flemish more.. As far as use, bothh fine by me, a little different, but not a lot. I see more variance in material as opposed to construction, assuming each is done well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts