Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new string. Its much heavier. 22 strands so my bohning nocks fit better. and while adjusting the brace height I guess I did something wrong and it separated. Any ideas how to fix it? Very disappointing. Waited weeks for it and now its a mess.

·
Level 4-NTS coach
1,340 Posts
Can't tell much from that picture but it looks a mess!

Arne

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
It looks like it was unwound into the "do not unwind" area between the loop and the "regular" area of the string - about a three or four inch area where the twists are very tight and the tag endings of the strands remain buried within the string.

If you were trying to unwind the string in order to make it longer, and therefore lower your brace height, you may have over-done the unwinding up into the "do not unwind" area, especially if the string was built too short for your bow.

More info on the bow's model, length, and length of string you ordered may be helpful.

Sorry to see this happen.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
You unwound it too much. Doesn't have anything to do with it coming apart, but it doesn't have the proper amount of back-twist in it either. If you had to unwind it that much, you need a longer string. The way to get a proper nock fit is to use a larger serving or build up the nock point.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
string is long enough. I was just playing with the brace height and unwound too much. Twisted it too many times. Is it ruined or can I fix it?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Just carefully twist the loop areas back as tightly as you can starting from the good loop side until you pass the area where the tag endings of the strands need to be buried. Clamp what you've done (with anything that pinches, like a paper clamp, or a twist tie) as you work on the other end. Then put some twists into the long section of the string (you can hang one loop on a fixed wall hook and stretch the string to do this. You might not get it as clean as the original twisting, for there is a specific technique used in making those twists. But as long as you get it fairly close and nothing is coming apart, you might salvage it and be able to shoot it.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
If you know anything about making a string, it should be an easy fix. You can probably find a video on you tube that will show you all you need to know. It's just a twist/counter twist, at least down to where the tag ends stop. Check the bundle tension periodically--even tension is a must..

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
This is probably not the wisest advice, but if it were me, I would pull the loop completely apart, put in the back twists, and then twist it back together. However, if you've not made strings before, that may be a bad idea. Then again, you'll probably not make it worse. Perhaps take a little sharpie and mark where the loop joins so that you know where to start twisting the loop, and where to twist it back together.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts