Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
Hoyt Axius Ultra ZTR 2 Cam 60-70#, AAE mountain stabilizer, AAE prophecy, 7 pin spot hogg
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

just wondering if this little piece should be cause for concern. Any info is greatly appreciated.

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,218 Posts
For me, yes. I'd change strings.

I'd be ok to shoot it for a bit but I would order a new set of strings.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would certainly continue to watch it but I don’t think its a big deal there.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,933 Posts
Hello all,

just wondering if this little piece should be cause for concern. Any info is greatly appreciated.
View attachment 7400501
If that was mine, I would be building myself a new string immediately.
Why?

Cuz that is a busted strand, and the resulting unequal bowstring tension above and below the peep would create peep rotation, and I demand perfect, zero peep rotation.

Is your bowstring gonna blow up?
Nope.

What if you don't mine a little peep rotation?
Then, you are fine.

What if I don't notice any peep rotation, cuz a little bit of peep rotation, I can always twist my d-loop crooked to compensate.

Then, you are just fine.

I want my peep dead straight at brace, and I want my peep dead straight at full draw.
If you don't mind that the peep is crooked at brace, and kinda close to straight at full draw, you are just fine.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,933 Posts
Hello all,

View attachment 7400501
If the peep is a tiny bit crooked at full draw,
you can fine tune the peep to perfectly straight, with a string separator...about a 1-inch length of paracord between the two halves of the bowstring.

You can use a rubber string silencer. I just use about a 1-inch length of paracord, which will stay permanently between the two halves of the bowstring. PULL the string separator up a little, the peep will steer in one direction.
PULL the string separator down a little, and the peep will steer in the other direction.

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
2,952 Posts
i would get a new one just because buying a string is much cheaper than replacing a bow/limbs/cams

·
Registered
20,758 Posts
Yep. Whoever installed the peep cut or melted the string. Strings are just multiple loops of the same strand of fiber so when one is cut, they're all cut. The serving will likely hold it together but it can slowly slip causing problems and can ultimately be dangerous. Better get a new string and if this was installed at a shop, they better be paying for it.

·
Registered
Elite Gt500, Elite Envy, Reign 6
2,127 Posts
As stated thats a broken strand. Maybe a few broken strands. Yes I would be concerned. Matter if fact I just ordered a new set of strings 2 days ago due to a spot on my gt500 string that looks just like that.

·
Registered
24,331 Posts
If you need any further reinforcement for considering a new string set, look up slow motion video footage of a compound bow string being shot. It is shocking the amount of oscillation and force that goes into each and every shot. Your string could be good for a while or be on its way out.....your the one who decides when and under what conditons.

·
Registered
308 Posts
i dont think thats a broken strand, ive shot bows that were worse then that for a while with no issues.if you do have a few broken strands then yes replace. if you dont and just have a couple strands that are frayed bad i would keep an watch on it and shoot it a while.if you can put it in a press and pull the strands apart you will know then what you got.also what poundage are you shooting if your shooting 70 plus pounds that will put more strain on the string..you decide but you should put the bow in a press and see what the strands look like. if you dont have broken strands i would shoot that string for 6 months or so and just watch it and wax it.

·
Registered
51,342 Posts
i dont think thats a broken strand, ive shot bows that were worse then that for a while with no issues.if you do have a few broken strands then yes replace. if you dont and just have a couple strands that are frayed bad i would keep an watch on it and shoot it a while.if you can put it in a press and pull the strands apart you will know then what you got.also what poundage are you shooting if your shooting 70 plus pounds that will put more strain on the string..you decide but you should put the bow in a press and see what the strands look like. if you dont have broken strands i would shoot that string for 6 months or so and just watch it and wax it.
Seriously!!!!!! Those are clearly borken strands.

·
Registered
20,758 Posts
Those are not only broken but they've been melted on the ends, likely from when the person installing the peep melted the serving tag end and wasn't careful to keep the flame away from the string.

·
Registered
308 Posts
press the bow pull the strands apart and take a look. if they are broken u will know then. im not an expert but ive come off some hunting trips where the string got beat up pretty good but no broken strands but badly frayed up

·
Registered
51,342 Posts
There is no need to put it in the press to check for broken strands, it is right there for all to clearly see. They are broke.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
New string is a way better decision than a visit to the Walk In Clinic/ER and your Eye Doctor.

·
Socket Man
24,527 Posts
The little scuff above you are pointing at is the least of my concern, just above the peep I can see strands that are not really tight at all and they are what is bothering me. As cheap as you can get new string sets I would just get one and be done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts