Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one happened to me the other day on my 2003 UT. The strings/cables are mine so there's no one to blame there but me :) 22 strands of 452 with #2d serving. Strings/cables were less than 2 months old, probably under 1000 shots. It seems as if the string just let go not quite at the middle of the end loop. I would think it would have to be cut on something to break in such a manner.

FWIW this was the cable that connects the top and bottom cams together, not the cable that goes to the harness.

In the 4 years I've made strings/cables I've never had this happen. It looks like it was cut, but there's nothing that could cut the end loop in this position on the cam. I'm not sure if it slipped off the post somehow and was caught and cut on something on the way off, or if it was somehow cut by something else that came into contact with the bow. At least the bow didn't dry fire and the other cable caught the bow so it didn't completely collapse.

Just curious if anyone else has seen something like this and knew the cause.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
i would venture to bet that was a cut as well. that stuff really should not just pop. any that i have seen break like that were cut. easton94

·
ArcheryLessonsOnline.com
2,013 Posts
there was a fella at the NAA Nationals that had this happen to him also. Cable broke at the loop, and then the string followed suite. Seems very odd. I have no insight as to what might cause it as I do not shoot that particular bow.

Adam G

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Todd,

There has to be a burr or sharp spot that cut it. Looks like a string making night over at Cam's house :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
String cutting

I dony know if its a problem with that model or not, but a friend of mine shooting a 2003 UT had a WC string break on him in the middle of a 3d shoot in the exact same spot on the loop. Dont know why we all commented that was an odd spot to break. The bow or WC string didnt have many shoots through if. Might not be a bad idea to check the end of the limb, his was cracked after the incodent. Hope this helps.

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,429 Posts
Doesn't make sense. When did the break happen, at full draw or on the shot?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It let go about at about 3/4 draw I'd guess. It cracked me in fact in the same spot it caught pure havoc in only not nearly as bad. The other string and cable held fine.

Kinda scary, cause I checked the area for sharp spots and such and there is nothing that should come in contact with the loop itself during normal draw/firing. This was the top cam side cable attachment so it doesn't even move or rotate at all during draw or firing where it attaches to the bow so I don't know how something even if it was a bur or sharp spot could rub through the loop. It's also to the inside of the limb so it shouldn't be catching on the limb, and it's at the very outside edge of the cam so it shouldn't be catching anything else as it moves around. Definately werid.

I'm thinking either it slipped off the post, maybe it was partly off when I pressed it last and slipped and was cut in the entertainment that followed, or it was bumped against something sharp sometime before shooting that nearly cut it and a couple draw cycles was enough to finish the job.

Jon, yeah it's a good thing I always make a spare set when I'm doing strings so I had a new set to put on and tune in.

I looked the bow over real well for cracks and such and checked the axles to make sure they were still true and everything seems fine that way.

·
X's R Us
3,458 Posts
Wa it attached to the top cam or bottom? Think I'll go check my string posts for any burrs. Also when did you get the bow? Mine's only a month old. If yours is older maybe they had a defect.
Crazy that purehavoc's cut even with the serving over the loop.
PH did you notice the serving wearing or did it just cut without warning?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was on the top cam for mine, My endloops were served as well.

I've had mine since oh probably early june. I rechecked my posts and found no burrs. I also noticed no serving wear and try to keep a pretty good eye on strings/servings.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
does ouch come ot mind when lookign at he pics sorry to hear about your loss there guys i hope it didn;t get any more serious than that and good luck on your repairs
rob k

·
Registered
644 Posts
I had something similar happen but it turned out to be my string jig. Had a burr on one of the posts and when I turned the yoke around it would cut the strands and I wouldn't see it. Hope you guys find out what is wrong!

·
ArcheryLessonsOnline.com
2,013 Posts
It might be worth making a call to Hoyt. This could be a minor flaw, or defect that could eventually effect more people. I know the person at the nationals got cut up pretty bad from the string hitting his arm when the cable let loose. I would say it would at least be worth the effort to mention it to hoyt on an individual basis so they can get a good number for how often this is happening. Not for the sake of causing an issue, but to possibly protect others and prevent anyone from getting seriously injured. Seems a little coincidental that so many strings and cables would break at the loop like that.

ADam G

·
Registered
10,677 Posts
Just curious; were you guys shooting the new 1 1/2 cams ?

Sag.

·
Registered
49 Posts
string

I have shoot with no exaggeration 6000 plus shots out of my pro tec with 452 with no real wear sign at all.
the bow has over 10000 shots approximatlely on it. This is a target model with the chromed cams. I see the string on yours looks to be cut by something. that is definatley not a stretch break!

·
Registered
829 Posts
toddm

A friend of mine, his string broke in practice tonight at the range, he was shooting a Mathews legacy, the string broke on the bottom cam under the serving, I think his problem was he had shot the string too much,
He was lucky with the string just whipping his face with no lasting damage, he was shooting 90 meters and the arrow reached 80yrds so most of the energy went into the arrow, he has a spare bow, and this weekend he is of to the British target champs, so he was glad it happened tonight
:cool:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I've been shooting a 2003 UT since last Dec. I am on my second string. The first on was still in good shape when I pulled it. I probably shoot 200 arrows a week. I know a bunch of guys shooting 03 Hoyts, and none have had string problems.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts