Archery Talk Forum banner

String Keeps Getting Longer After Each Use

921 Views 9 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  1955
I recently replaced the string on my recurve bow. I was able to shoot thousands of arrows with the previous string. (Sniff) I miss that ol' string. Before each session, I would check and set my brace height by twisting accordingly. It was sometimes off an eighth of an inch, but other times it stayed the same between sessions.

The new string I have changes almost every time and can vary as much as a half inch in brace height between the beginning and end of sessions. By this I mean the string keeps changing lengths (gets longer) every day I shoot, so I have to twist it up. I thought this was normal at first, a sort of breaking in period. That was a thousand arrows ago. Is this to be expected, or does my new string stink? Thanks.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,154 Posts
It depends on how many strands it is and what poundage is your bow. With a 50+ pound bow and a 14 strand string, I had the same issue, it would stretch more than an inch in about 12 arrows. I ordered an 18 inch strand online and it has yet to show any signs of stretching.

Good luck,

· (aka lug nut)
54,875 Posts
I recently replaced the string on my recurve bow. I was able to shoot thousands of arrows with the previous string. (Sniff) I miss that ol' string. Before each session, I would check and set my brace height by twisting accordingly. It was sometimes off an eighth of an inch, but other times it stayed the same between sessions.

The new string I have changes almost every time and can vary as much as a half inch in brace height between the beginning and end of sessions. By this I mean the string keeps changing lengths (gets longer) every day I shoot, so I have to twist it up. I thought this was normal at first, a sort of breaking in period. That was a thousand arrows ago. Is this to be expected, or does my new string stink? Thanks.
Smells like you have a dacron bowstring. Are you shooting a wooden recurve bow, or an Olympic style metal riser recurve bow?

· Registered
30,672 Posts
I presume that you are unstringing your bow after each shooting session and then restringing just prior to the beginning of the next? If so, your string is simply "relaxing" the twists after being unstrung and then resetting the next time. The reason your old string didn't move much or sometimes at all is that it was shot-in and the twists had become tighter over time. Many custom hunting bow builders have reinforced recurve bow limb tips since the 1980's so modern string materials can be safely shot, which cuts down on the stretching of the string to a minimum. Trad string builders sometimes also "pad" the limb tips with extra material to make it a bit larger for string groove protection.

However every time you relax the string the twists are going to settle out just a bit. Such is the reason why many current trad shooters keep their bows strung and have a case that is designed for that purpose. I had a Black Widow recurve that was strung for almost 5 years continuously, unless I was changing out a string or traveling on an out-of-state hunt......without any change in performance or poundage since the limbs are laminated. Obviously if your are traveling or flying to a competition, you would need to take your bow down. The answer then would be to get your bow strung as soon as possible so the string can reset and you won't have to mess with it during your shooting sessions.

· World & National Champion
34,042 Posts

· (aka lug nut)
54,875 Posts
Yep, it's Dacron. I've attached a photo of the packaging.
Olympic recurve, metal riser. Get a proper bowstring for an Oly bow. BCY 8125 is popular for the Oly recurve folks. Whoever sold you a DACRON bowstring for an Oly Recurve bow....do not go back to this "pro shop" or retailer.

You can contact 60X custom strings for a recommendation for your Olympic recurve bow. Tell 60X about your arrows, and especially what brand/model of NOCK you are using, so that the center serving can be sized appropriately for a PROPER nock fit.

http://www.60xcustomstrings.com/60x-8125g-custom-longbow-recurve-bow-string/

· Shooter of flesh
7,672 Posts
Olympic recurve, metal riser. Get a proper bowstring for an Oly bow. BCY 8125 is popular for the Oly recurve folks. Whoever sold you a DACRON bowstring for an Oly Recurve bow....do not go back to this "pro shop" or retailer
Why the assumption that he went to a shop, or retailer??? Maybe he bought it online? Maybe he was just being cheap!!! Or anyone of a dozen other scenarios.

Maybe he wasn't "sold" a string, as much as bought it without any advice, or he ignored the advice given him.

You'd think that someone as villiafied as n and b might gain some empathy, but no...he attacks an imaginary "pro shop" just like is the standard here on the AT. Well done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.