Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had luck with installing extra string leeches on there bow. I have a Vtec that has alittle noise. I've seen were people have added leeches to there cables along with the 2 on the string also.. What about two alphashox per split limb? Or is all this just over kill?

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
String Leaches

I use two string leaches on my string (the newer super leaches...I had problems with the old ones arms breaking off within the first week I installed them) and two more on my buss cable....

I shoot a Mathews MQ1 and it's quiet as can be.

·
EXTREME BOWSTRINGS
11,626 Posts
I had string leeches on my string and after about a dozen shots I had no more string leeches on my string, not sure where they went but they are gone. So I put on tarantulas and they are still there today after about 1000 shots or more.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Next time you visit the Grand Canyon, stop and throw those leeches in. Then go out and get some plain old cat whiskers and you will be far more satisfied.

Automan

·
Registered
13,924 Posts
:thumb:
automan26 said:
Next time you visit the Grand Canyon, stop and throw those leeches in. Then go out and get some plain old cat whiskers and you will be far more satisfied.

Automan
You know it.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
string leeches

I'm having much better luck so far with the new super string leeches...been on my bow for about a month now and they're still there! haha....I too saw them break off and disappear within the first day when shooting the original style...hopefully these last longer......

Otherwise I'm a fan of tarantulas....i've made my own from old polarfleece and that has worked as well....

·
Registered
272 Posts
Take all your leeches and crap off your string and just put an sts on. It will be all you need. I shoot a ross 34 with a g5 peep, loop, and sts, and let me say that baby is quiet. Just my two cents.

·
Mad Viking
2,046 Posts
Yep, leeches are junk IMHO. Iagree with the STS, or just put on old fashion cat whiskers.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I had leeches on the bow I bought in April, my first experience with them, and in the last week they started to break up. I went back to the cat whiskers I had used before. I never lost one of them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I use to have trouble with string leaches coming out until I tied serving above and below them. Don't know if that was the right thing to do but they stay in.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
A bowshop that I frequent from time to time took my leaches off the string and put them on the cable. They then put catwhiskers where the leaches originally were in the string.

After a while, I noticed where the catwhiskers were beating the "Y" yoke of the cable literally to pieces, :eek: :rant: thus causing a weak spot in my cable.

I inquired with Scott (mgr of customer service) w/HOYT about leach location and the installation of catwhiskers. He told me that the installation of catwhiskers was not necessary to quieten the bow. :mmph: :mad2: :nono: :rant:

I have since had Mike of H&M Custom Bowstrings (here on AT) make me a new string/cable w/the yoke completely served to prevent any further problem like the ones I've experienced from the catwhiskers. :thumb: :clap2:

I'll be going with the new string silencer (string shox) like come on the Trycon instead of the regular leaches (at least on the string).

So, there'll be no catwhiskers in my future.

The reason that the string leaches get destroyed, is because with the over-travle of the string (unseen w/naked eye when string is released) ....it travels forward and allows the string leach to strike the cable. This causes the damage and/or tearing and even the disappearance of the string leach. This is the reason I've chosen to use the string shox on my string and the leaches on the cable. :rolleyes:

Greg

·
Registered
826 Posts
automan26 said:

Automan

I have been shooting hard with the same string leeches for over a year now on two different bows, maybe I just have luck on my side.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
I used string leeches for a while, but now I just use Bowjax string jax and my MeanV string suppressor. Works Great!! Catwhiskers work fine but they are a pain a lot of ways and not necessary with the string suppressor.:)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I agree with MeanV, Bowjax is the way to go. They're tough as woodpecker lips:wink:

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Frick said:
I agree with MeanV, Bowjax is the way to go. They're tough as woodpecker lips:wink:

and that my friends is tough.:eek:

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
leaddog1 said:
Has anybody had luck with installing extra string leeches on there bow. I have a Vtec that has alittle noise. I've seen were people have added leeches to there cables along with the 2 on the string also.. What about two alphashox per split limb? Or is all this just over kill?
there is no such thing as overkill, put the alpha shox in you limbs. and look into getting an STS. it worked wonders for my trykon when i was shooting it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts