Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello: I'm a novice string maker and have never pre-stretched my cables or strings but would like to try. I bought a stetching device for my dream machine stringer but what do I have to purchase to know how many pounds I'm stretching my strings at? A scale, a spring? Where can I purchase such a device? Also, How much longer should I start my strings at as apposed to the actual length of the string and how many twists do I put on my string and cables for my switchback to end up at the approx. manufactures length? Thanks Chuck

·
Member # 75
3,488 Posts
The tension can be regulated two ways.

Use a compression spring on the knob side of the stretcher between the knob and the frame or a tension spring on the string side between the eyehook and the string.

Without a spring to take up the tension, the mechanical action of the stretcher can easily damage the fibers of the string.

If you use a compression spring, just make sure that you do not bottom the spring, because beyond that point you can damage the string fibers. The actual tension will increase exponentially.

Most people use 300# to stretch. Actually you can use much more than that because the string will carry the load. However the spring must be able to absorb the travel of the stretcher while applying tension to the string.

A tension of 300# is usually adequate to prevent the string from rolling due to the tension of the serving tool.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I have a BCY Yellowstone Microstretcher and I have a 300# die spring on the opposite end of my knob, I have it on the back side of my hook I put my string on so when I tension down on the knob end it pulled the hook through the hole, compressing the spring, works perfect, But like said above do not compress the string and then keep going cause the string tension jumps up quickly and can damage the fibers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts