Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I need your help. I acquired a colt gamemaster. 52# @28" 60" bow. The brace height seems really short. I need to dig to see if I still have the receipt for the string. I swear I purchased a 56" string. Is anyone familiar with this bow and what the brace height and string length should be? I appreciate any insight. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
To adjust the brace height all you need to do is take the string off and add twists to the string to increase the brace height until you reach the desired brace height. If you have a 56" string you should be fine.

Mlrs

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the insight. Do you feel it is realistic to twist 1" or so out? I have been searching a little. BH for a recurve is generally 7-9"

·
Registered
606 Posts
To adjust the brace height all you need to do is take the string off and add twists to the string to increase the brace height until you reach the desired brace height. If you have a 56" string you should be fine.

Mlrs
I’m guessing the fistmele should be 8”. That would be an awful lot of twisting from 5.5”, no?
Is it possible that this bow was crafted prior to the AMO standard and thus requires a string other than the “standard” length?

·
Registered
20,760 Posts
Adam -

If you bought a true 56" actual length string, it should give you close to the correct brace height. Hiowever, not sure if the Colts were to AMO spec.

With the bow strung, measure the string from loop to loop and see if it is still 56".

A. If it is, you need at least a 1" shorter string, maybe more.

B. If the string measures more than 56", then the string slipped (crept). Since it's looks to be a Flemish splice, that's unfortunately very possible.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
More important than the string is the fact that the bow itself is far too heavy and short for a beginner.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I’m guessing the fistmele should be 8”. That would be an awful lot of twisting from 5.5”, no?
Is it possible that this bow was crafted prior to the AMO standard and thus requires a string other than the “standard” length?
That indeed is a lot of twisting. I have a bow that was made in 2012 that is 62". It has a 59" string. If I have very few twists in the string it will measure 5" for the brace height. I had to put a lot of twists in it to get it to the 8" brace height I wanted.

That is something I never thought about. It is very possible that the bow was made before AMO standards came out. AMO standards came out in February of 1968 and was voluntary for manufacturers to go by. The best way to tell if the string was the right length would be to measure the bow.

Mlrs

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did some twisting. The string is now 56" when strung. Brace height is now 7.5" and the overall length is 57.25" from what I recall. The bow is shooting good. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Adam, i'm willing to bet you the bh should be between 8 and 9 inches. I really believe you have the wrong string on it. Betting your bh will be a good 8.5 inches when it's right. Mark

·
Slingin' Arrows
1,239 Posts
Depends on the string material. On a bow of that weight, dacron will stretch almost two inches when strung. But dynaflight will stretch more like half an inch. It has nothing to do with the flemish twist. Just the string material.

·
Registered
20,760 Posts
BR -

Not even close to being true.
Initial creep (not stretch) on a NEW UNSTRETCHED Dacron string might be 1/2" and D97 1/4".
After the first session, both types are pretty much stable.

Adam -

Glad you got a usable brace height, but keep an eye on it, if it continues to creep, and it's a Flemish, the splice is bad.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
BR -

Not even close to being true.
Initial creep (not stretch) on a NEW UNSTRETCHED Dacron string might be 1/2" and D97 1/4".
After the first session, both types are pretty much stable.

Adam -

Glad you got a usable brace height, but keep an eye on it, if it continues to creep, and it's a Flemish, the splice is bad.

Viper1 out.
Sometimes, depending on how they're made, even if the splices are good, it can take a really long time to wring out the excess wax. It is a pet peeve of mine :(

If you find your nocking point creeping up or down, or one loop gets bigger, definitely a bad splice.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the insight guys. It has been 25 years since shooting traditional with a 45# bear grizzly as a teenager. My buddy at the time and I were not too bad.

I am getting used to this bow now and like it. I do miss this type of shooting. As mentioned--the poundage is more than I would get if I bought new but I am getting used to it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts