Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a Bear Kodiak and on the side of the riser it reads BK-11006, AMO 60", #50

The string that is on it is 56" long. Is that correct or should it be "60 for a 60" bow?? I'm new to traditional archery, gave up the wheels and cams to pursue stick and string. Also what should the brace height be? Is there a common ground for recurves or are they all different depending on the bow?

Went to Cabelas and they told me I needed a 61" string for it and a 8 1/4" - 8 1/2" BH. The research I did says to put a 4" shorter string on a recurve and 2" for longbow and a 9" brace height.

So I'm really confused now as to what I need to set it up at, any and all information would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
That is correct.. my 58" uses a 54" string

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
The AMO "standard" is and has always been 3" shorter than the length of the bow. Your AMO 60" bow should take a 57" string. Unfortunately, the standard isn't always... well... standard from one bowyer to the next.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The AMO "standard" is and has always been 3" shorter than the length of the bow. Your AMO 60" bow should take a 57" string. Unfortunately, the standard isn't always... well... standard from one bowyer to the next.
Ok thanks for the information, appreciate it

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Were I you, I'd have someone make me a 56.5" Flemish string. Then, you can twist it up or down to get the correct length. Once you find the sweet spot, probably about an 8" brace height, you can measure the exact length of the string for future reference.

Also... for what it's worth, IMHO, 50# is waaaaay too much weight for someone who is admittedly, new to "traditional" archery.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I shoot a Black Widow PSA 58". 53lbs at 28. String is 54.25" stretched with a 9" brace height which it seems to prefer for some reason.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
534 Posts
ok long bows are normally 3 inches shorter than AMO Recurves are 4inches(that's real string length). Amo is NOT standardized every bow manufacture is a little different (and things really get confused with FF that doesn't stretch much , you may have to take a 1/2 off the amo)

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I don't know where the 4" AMO thing comes from. Perhaps it's from the old B-50 strings that stretching so much. But... the AMO standard is and has always been 3" shorter than the bow length. Unfortunately, the standard isn't always... well... standard from one bowyer to the next. Hmmm... I think I just repeated myself. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Of course you could always simple measure your bow to find out what string length you need. You just measure the belly of the bow; don't go to the throat of the grip; just along the curvature of the limbs and straight across the riser from string nock to string nock.

measurerecurve.jpg

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Jim is right - AMO is 3" shorter.
Amazing that bowyers working on 1000's of a inch for most measurements can't measure the string
needed to get their bow to suggested brace height and add 3 inches to mark their bows with the correct AMO length.

Better option would be for them to mark the bow with the average ACTUAL string length needed!
No reason this is not done.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
From what I read it was 3 inches before FF strings. The low stretch material was the game changer.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
From what I read it was 3 inches before FF strings. The low stretch material was the game changer.
That picture I posted is from the old AMO site.

There's been no game-changer. The AMO standard is and always has been 3" shorter than the AMO bow length.

That's fixed; not changing. The differences come from the length of bows not adhering to the AMO standards.

·
12 stepper for gear...
3,826 Posts

The problem there would be if you started with a 3" shorter "stretchy" string you would end up with a brace height less than what you would get with the steel cable the standard is based on. If you then shorten that length with a "no/low stretch" string, your brace height would be higher than the standard with the steel cable.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I'm sorry I meant 4.
It just freaks me out when the string maker asks you to measure your string or what length do you want it. I can tell BW what model and length my bow is and I get the same one every time.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I never saw the second question answered. The reason that the string is shorter than the bow length is that if you had a 60" string on a 60" bow the limbs would not have any tension on them. The shorter the string the more tension is put onto the limbs creating the brace height, which is another important number that you need to familiarize yourself with. All bows have a sweet spot where they shoot the quietest and have the best cast. When you find that sweet spot you measure the distance from the inside of the string to the deepest part of the grip valley and write it down or remember that number. Various string materials will stretch which causes the brace height measurement to lower. You twist the string to bring the brace height back to the number that your bow likes.

Some bowyers are terrible on listing the actual length of their bows. Actually, riser design and different angles of the limbs makes it rather tough to measure the length of a bow in some instances. That is why some string makers prefer to know the length of the string that works for your bow. I used to build endless loop strings and it is very frustrating to build a string to AMO standards, prestretch the string, and have it measure out within an eighth of an inch only to find that when it is put on the bow the brace height is two inches short of where it needs to be. I always build B50 endless loop strings 4" shorter because I know that they will be 3" shorter within the first few minutes of shooting.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I'm sorry I meant 4.
It just freaks me out when the string maker asks you to measure your string or what length do you want it. I can tell BW what model and length my bow is and I get the same one every time.

Why would it freak you out that they want to know the actual length of the string you need? The replies here clearly show that the AMO standard for marking bows is treated as an ignored suggestion by most bowyers. I'd be more freaked out by a string-maker that did not ask what length was needed along with how you measured it, material and type of construction (flemish or endless). All info needed to be able to build a custom string that fits you and the bow.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Why would it freak you out that they want to know the actual length of the string you need? The replies here clearly show that the AMO standard for marking bows is treated as an ignored suggestion by most bowyers. I'd be more freaked out by a string-maker that did not ask what length was needed along with how you measured it, material and type of construction (flemish or endless). All info needed to be able to build a custom string that fits you and the bow.
I have only been shooting traditional seriously for 9 months but it would seem to me that a string maker would know the length of a string for a Sage or other common mass produced bow.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts