Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy wants to build a string out of 452X and wants to know how many strands to use for a 60 to 70 pound bow? Also what is a good serving material for the center serving and the loops? He dosn't want a material that is too large and hard for the arrows to snap onto, so what diameter should he get? He also wants the serving material so it dosn't have a tendancy to slip on the string. Thanks for the help.

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
I only make strings from a single color (black) so I find that 22 strands of 452X is perfect when used with .018 center serving with the tail ran full length under the center serving on my target bows. On my hunting bows I use .021.

My favorite center serving is 62XS.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Go to the BCY site and they give recommendations. www.bcyfibers.com .
Like AKDoug said, I use 22 strands for the string using 452X and 24 for the cables (split yoke). On the string I like a smaller diameter so use .021 or .022 depending on the material used and also run a tag end the length of the serving. At the shop we use .025 for the center serving just so someone using aluminum doesn't have their arrow fall off.

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
I make both my strings and cables with 20 strands and I like .018 62xs, or the brownell diamond back. The .018 allows my gold tip nocks to slide up and down the string, but requires a quick sharp tap on the string for it to come off. I don't run the tag end of the center serving the full length, only about a 1/2 inch of back serving on the top and bottom.

Good Luck,
Ben

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
For 60-65lbs I use 20 strands.
For 70lbs 22 strands.
4 cable bows 14 strands each. Single cable bows 24 strands. Dual cable bows 20 strands each.

Diamond back .022" is my most used center serving. I suggest buying a spool of .018" (which you'll need for end serving anyway) a spool of .022" and possibly a spool of .026" so you can fit the serving to your nocks.
At worst you have a lifetime supply of the larger serving to tie nocking points in your loops. At best you have proper nock fit.

I don't like putting extra strands the length of the serving because it leaves a lump where I don't want one.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I use 20 strands of 452X which is what BCY recommends and .022 Brownell Diamondback for most release shooters.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
24 strand with .021 Diamondback or #62XS

22 strand .021 or .025 " " depending on feel!

20 strand .025 " "

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
452X has a tensile strength over 70lb so 20 X 70 = 1400lb.s, which is plenty. On the cable you lose 40% at the yoke so 1400 X 0.6 = 840lb.s still plenty.

I use 20 strands when building 452 or 8125T, and they last for several seasons, I then replace due to "fuzzing" never have had a failure. Use 20 strands, BCY 3D for end serving and BCY 62XS in 0.025" diameter for 452 and Brownell Diamondback in 0.022" diameter for 8125T. For two colors run ten strands of each/five times around the jig for each color. There are techniques that can eliminate peep rotation on draw but can give away everything :zip: :wink: . :thumb:

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
IroquoisArcher said:
Actually they recommend 22/24 strands.
Actual strand count may vary up or down 2 strands which means their 22/24 is 20/26.

They also say that is mostly for nock fit in their faqs.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Myk and pblawer, yes I know it can vary up or down and the strength of the material per strand is more then enough for it. What was said though was that BCY recommends 20 strand. They don't, they recommend 22/24 strand. I was just saying what they do recommend so someone wouldn't assume that if they recommend 20 strand and they could vary that down by 2 strands and only use an 18 strand string... Not trying to start any arguments here but since someone is just starting making strings (assumption here) then they should get the facts as recommended by the company so they aren't :confused2:

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,449 Posts
Deezlin said:
I use 20 strands of 452X which is what BCY recommends and .022 Brownell Diamondback for most release shooters.
Actually, BCY recommends 22/24 strands of 452x... I use 22 for strings and 24 for cables. 22 strands of 452x and center serving of BCY #62 or #62xs in .021 diameter makes for a nice nock fit with standard size nocks. While 20 strands works, and is a little faster, it also may produce more noise...

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
BCY says,
"Recommended strands: 22/24"
And later on the same page,
"Bowstring Diameter/Recommended number of strands: All bowstring material is relatively flat in a single strand, so it is not
appropriate to publish a diameter of the individual strand. The important issue is how many strands are required to give a
satisfactory nock fit
, which is what the above recommendations show. These numbers can vary according to nock type/size
and personal preference.
Recommended strands are for typical modern compound bows. Plus or minus two strands is normal."

22/24 +/-2 equals 20/26.
http://www.bcyfibers.com/technical_sheets/Bowstring Material layout 2.pdf

1 - 13 of 13 Posts