Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a couple questions for ya. I have 4 kids that all shoot Hoyt Banshees, it's getting to the point where their strings are going to need replacing soon. I know strings aren't that expensive for what they are and the time that goes into them, but being unemployed right now I'm long on time and short on funds. I was toying with the idea of making their strings and cables myself. I've been shooting archery for many years, I can put on servings and tie things in with out a problem, but have never built a string. Where is the best place to get serving material, keep in mind these aren't high speed bows and I'm not looking to gain speed with strings these are little kids who don't know about speed and all that. I've seen a lot of string making jigs on the DIY section that's not a problem to make one. what do you use for string count on youth strings and any other information you good folks could share with me would be appreciated. And would it be more cost effective to just buck up and spend the money for custom strings instead of making them myself. I am pretty handy at making things and I think I can figure this out with a little help. Plus living in a very small town in southwest Montana makes just going out and buying strings a little harder than it would be in a smaller town, but ordering on line is easy no matter where you are. Thanks for any input you could share.
I'm not looking at getting into string making as a sideline or to make money, I'm just trying to keep my kids shooting the most cost effective way I can.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Where is the best place to get serving material, keep in mind these aren't high speed bows and I'm not looking to gain speed with strings these are little kids who don't know about speed and all that.

PM memeber: "Deezlin"
(he even accepts PayPal ;-)

what do you use for string count on youth strings
Personally, whenever possible I use the existing strings to determine all the necessary specs.

And would it be more cost effective to just buck up and spend the money for custom strings instead of making them myself.
For what it would cost to buy the material and serving and 2 serving jigs, plus the posts from JoeBass and some Uni-Strut from the local Electrical Supply House you can buy about 3 or 4 commercial strings. 2 spools of 8125 has enough material on it to make at least double that many sets of strings and cables....... money already saved!!!

Or if you get the super deluxe LittleJon jig, figure about 6-10 strings before it "pays for itself".

I have the JoeBass posts and I am very happy with them...

BUT the Little Jon posts have those great cleats on them to make tying off super easy, and his tensioning/twisting unit looks like the [email protected]
I'm seriously trying to scrape together enough funds for the Church to afford one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts