Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of you are pretty adept at making strings, so I'm looking for someone to point me in the right directions as far as instructional books/dvds. Any other advice is welcome too. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I learned everything I needed for both making Flemish and endless strings, as well as instructions for making the jigs, from Camera's Shooting the Stickbow.

A little off-to-the-side study and a peek or two at some online videos helped clear up a bit of fuzziness, but his string-making dialogue and diagrams are quite thorough and easy to follow.

There is a brief learning curve, but it's fairly painless once you get your hands-on groove happening.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
E,

Keep that book in the library wing of your lavatory and peruse its entirely while you "wind down".

If you go the endless route, he has updated plans for the jig on his website that makes for a sturdier one than as described in the book.

I went the Flemish route first time out, for the jig looked easier to build than the endless one and everything in the endless making department looked more complicated. Since then, I've built the endless jig and realized that either type of string is equally easy to construct ... personal taste or function ends up the winner when you open up the options.

Once you have a jig and some hands-on, any elusive details that seem perplexing can be cleared up by viewing a few of the many string-building videos on YouTube, as well as hitting the various archery forum archives for specifics that address your concern. Something that seems baffling in print is easily made clear while watching the same thing being performed on video.

I forgot to mention ... 3Rivers Archery has an excellent Flemish making DVD called Crafting Traditional Flemish Strings that may be of great visual help if you wish to view the processes on one disc.

Now ... off with you to the reading room for some contemplative archery meditation (and don't forget to wash your hands!).

·
Registered
441 Posts
You are much better off building your own string jig, as opposed to buying one, that way you know that the strand length is correct. A lot of the jigs you can buy have numbers on them that aren't even close to being the actual length of the strands you cut from them.

X2 on 3Rivers Archery video. There is a lot of good stuff on YouTube for free, though.

·
Registered
20,773 Posts
e -

There's a "new and improved" endless loop string jig download on the book's website.

Viper1 out.

·
Archery curmudgeon
2,785 Posts
If you do Flemish don't mark your length pegs in pen, use pencil until you build a few and then mark your lengths permanently.

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,250 Posts
I found as many sources as I could when I started making endless loop strings. I started by learning to serve since serving is fundamental to the process. I purchased some videos, watched Youtube videos, read whatever I could find and then started making 3 foot practice strings with a spool of low cost Dacron B50. During the course of making these practice strings I figured out the approach that worked best for me and the jig that I was using. I had to learn to adapt since I was making strings for extreme recurves and the end servings were longer than the post width. I came up with an approach that I never saw presented by anyone else, but worked great for me. There is a ton of stuff on line for both endless and flemish twist. You just need to do some Google searches. I ended up with a hybrid of the stuff I studied with a little twist added by me. My strings have worked out great and I love the independence string making provides.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Sam Harper at poor folks bows has a very good tutorial on Flemish twist strings. Also 3 rivers has a video you can order called "doing the twist" I believe it is made by a member here who goes by LBR. The back yard bowyer on you tube, and another gentleman who has a channel called billings gate archery both have good tutorials on endless loop strings and how to build jigs for them. It sounds like rocket science at first but, really it isn't all that tricky once you give it a few tries.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts