Archery Talk Forum banner

String material Vec99 vs 452x

4811 Views 65 Replies 48 Participants Last post by  Primeshooter67
Which is better in your opinion tried and true 452x or the VEC99?
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

· Registered
486 Posts
I like both, seeing VEC99 vs everything else shot in the rain is interesting with how much water other strings hold vs the VEC99. Witnessed it today at TAC in TX. If I was hunting in the rain a lot VEC99 would be the only way to go.

· Registered
7,481 Posts
Personally love the vec99. Trick to keeping a peep in place is to use a braided serving. Halo works great and I always include a length of it with every order.

· Registered
2,392 Posts
Personally love the vec99. Trick to keeping a peep in place is to use a braided serving. Halo works great and I always include a length of it with every order.
And I can attest it works. Happy as can be with my set and appreciate the included serving. Cant say enough about this fella right here as a string builder and business man!

· Registered
2,014 Posts
452 for a hunting bow and vec99 for target. I do not like the amount of wax in the 99 for dust collecting on a hunting bow.

You didn't answer, and I feel I may have missed something. Vec99 has wax? I know nothing about string materials other than what I read. Heck, I don't even know how to tell if it's time for new strings lol. But I thought one of the plusses of vec99 was the lack of needing wax. It's also possible you meant the lack of wax bothers you and I misread that completely

· Registered
7,481 Posts
The above confuses me as well. 452x and x99 have wax and will be stickier. Vec99 has none and will be slicker repelling dirt and water.

· Registered
3,711 Posts
I've found the constrictor knot around the housing and then stacking half-hitches on the string legs works really well.
This…..Vec99 peep will not budge.
Plant Eye Terrestrial plant Sculpture Twig

· Registered
Mathews, Athens, Hamskea, First Lite, UltraView
225 Posts
I like the Vec 99 quite a bit, have it on 4 bows, really doesn’t move but it is slick. People say it has has wax, wrong, it’s KY Jelly, got to be, that’s what it feels like. I tie my peep in with halo on it and tie them like Levi Morgan’s video on you tube and I have zero issues with them moving.

· Registered
937 Posts
I've got a set of X99 strings on my Victory-X from Catfish and they are doing incredibly well. Installed and tuned initially then shot a few hundred shots, peep has stayed at the exact position it did when I first put it in, got a bullet hole thru paper in one shot and bareshaft tuned really well. Strings were somewhat "waxy" at first but after a month or so they seem to be dryer now.

· Registered
2,586 Posts
My solution is to smudge some hard wax into the peep grooves And just tie in above, below and separately around the waist. I prefer this to the continuous strand tie in methods because you can press the bow and move the peep easily enough. It won’t usually slide, but you can kinda break the peep free of the string and then move it up and down. Doesn’t take much hard wax at all and will 100% stay put. In my experience, even with the best tying in job, a peep can still ’settle’ a hair away from where installed. While that may only 0.5mm away from where I put it, that’s too much IMO

· Registered
2,586 Posts
FWIW I have shot Fury, Mercury, 452X, B99 and X99. I am ordering X99 at the moment as it is super stable, well priced and seems to wear much better than 452x- less fuzz. Seems a great compromise.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts