Archery Talk Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

· Registered
2,301 Posts
Vec 99 but still like mercury too. I've read where Bloodline99, not vec99, is mercury with the special treatment or coating. Any truth to this? Mercury is quicker and softer shooting, quieter to me. Shooting a bow with x99 and liking them so far too. So far no issues with vec99 but to me it has a different sound nothing bad or loud though. IMO they're so close I'd go with what your builder prefers.

· Registered
EVO XF 33 S2,EVO NXT 33, PSE lazer, hamskea rests, victory arrows, kings camo
125 Posts
Have 452 on my evoke Lt and its great, have vec99 on my nxt and its also great can i tell any difference in scores? No, does the vec99 feel smoother on draw and shot Yes. Personally would go with the vec99. But thats me

· Banned
Biktarvy for prep
1,087 Posts
I don't know what the factory GAS strings are made of, but I have two of the same bow, one with factory GAS strings and one with Catfish Customs VEC99. The VEC99 feels better on the draw/shot and also sounds better, in my opinion. It's more of a splash sound on the VEC99 vs more of a twang sound on the factory GAS strings. If that makes any sense at all.

I'll shoot the GAS strings til winter, but then it will be more Catfish Customs VEC99 going forward.

· Registered
10,422 Posts
I have Vec99 on my hunting bow (pictured below)and 452x on my indoor target bow. Both are very stable and I've had no problems with either one.

I do like how the Vec99 doesn't fuzz and stays looking like new after thousands of shots. It is super slick so you do have to make sure you tie your peep in with a little extra care. I use 3D serving and my normal Specialty Archery tie in process to tie in my peep, but I do run the 3D serving through some beeswax first. The beeswax makes it stick to the Vec99 really well.

Street light Wood Automotive lighting Gas Audio equipment

· Registered
3,869 Posts
I don't know what the factory GAS strings are made of, but I have two of the same bow, one with factory GAS strings and one with Catfish Customs VEC99. The VEC99 feels better on the draw/shot and also sounds better, in my opinion. It's more of a splash sound on the VEC99 vs more of a twang sound on the factory GAS strings. If that makes any sense at all.

I'll shoot the GAS strings til winter, but then it will be more Catfish Customs VEC99 going forward.
I think Catfish Customs does some voodo magic on his strings. I made the switch to his twisted with Vec99 and was very surprised how well they shoot and how fast they settled. I installed my peep after a handful of shots and it’s not moving at all.

· Registered
125 Posts
I have 452x (bowshop built) on my Mach 1 and Vec99 (Catfish Customs) on my V3X 33. Cant wait to change out the 452x strings on Mach 1 for Vec99 after this season! Both perform great but 452x looked worn out pretty quickly after putting them on and stretched quite a bit. Vec99 didnt move much at all and rock solid after 50 shots.

· Banned
Mathews V3X, V3, and KI Swat X1
20,445 Posts
I have 452x (bowshop built) on my Mach 1 and Vec99 (Catfish Customs) on my V3X 33. Cant wait to change out the 452x strings on Mach 1 for Vec99 after this season! Both perform great but 452x looked worn out pretty quickly after putting them on and stretched quite a bit. Vec99 didnt move much at all and rock solid after 50 shots.
If 452X creeped after install, it wasn’t built properly. It should be as stable as VEC99.

· Registered
125 Posts
If 452X creeped after install, it wasn’t built properly. It should be as stable as VEC99.
Well to be fair, "quite a bit" may not be the most accurate description. But I did have to go back to bow shop and have string twisted to get peep aligned again with 452X, but VEC99 was good to go from the outset and peep hasn't twisted after 300+ shots. Different bows so not sure if that was a factor.

· Registered
3,722 Posts
Vec99 is the best string material I ever used looks new after 7000 shoots and does no move in the heat of Florida
I would agree!

41 - 60 of 66 Posts