Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know what Hoyt is using on their bows in 2002-03?

What is the equivalent in BCY:

Brownell UltraCam = ??? BCY
Brownell D75 = ??? BCY

I would like to find the right material for my UltraTec CC+ for FITA!

Thanks

·
Archery Coach
23,327 Posts
For FITA olympic just about everyone is using some version of dyneema. For years Fast flite was the standard then the older Japanese Angel Dyneema. The next wave was the original Dynaflite outsourced from the Netherlands and marketed by BCY. D-97 and Brownell's D75 are both Dyneema 75 made by DCM in Europe. The Angel stuff was faster because it had no wax and was thinner. Most guys I know use 18-20 strands of the Angel but only 14-16 strands of the DCM stuff.

8125 is thinner Dynaflite 97 and the equivalent of D-75 thin. gt recommends 18 strands of this stuff and that is what I use. Ultracam is a vectran blend similar to 452 or the thicker 450 sold by BCY. BCY's newest offering is Dyneema 02 which is a far less waxed (to get more speed like the old angel stuff) dyneema 75-14 strands or so for that stuff-its marketed as a recurve string.

If I were setting up a serious FITA compound, I would use the nonstretch stuff for the cables (two cam bow) and depending on the speed (the pure dyneema strings are a little faster) use ultracam or 8125 for the main string. For one cam bows, I prefer 8125 since its a little lighter than the blends but still stick with 450 or ultracam for the cable.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
It just depends what features you what... With 452, the material is much more stable than with 8125, but it's not as fast.

Also, how well will the strings be built?? I have WC 8125 string and 452 cables on my 3-D bow. After I put them on, shot around 60 to 80 shots thru them to let everything settle, I then set them up how I wanted (tied in peep, adjusted yokes, times cams). Since then, NOTHING has moved. I can't comment on other manufactures strings/cables. That's why I asked about how well they are built.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jim C!

What will it do if I am putting 8125 on all the cables and string? Why use different stuff for cables?

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Jim C!

What will it do if I am putting 8125 on all the cables and string? Why use different stuff for cables?

Ultracam and 450 (452) are blends type of string? What are the pros or cons for this materials vs other stuff like 8125?

·
I'd rather be hunting!
1,905 Posts
I just put new strings and cables on my '03 Hoyt. The string is D-75 thin and the cables are 450 plus. I like the 450 on cables because it will not move. Like having steel cables on it!

And it shoots great!

·
Archery Coach
23,327 Posts
Pete-you use the non stretch stuff for the cables (especially on a two cam bow) because slight stretch variations in one cable versus the other can cause timing problems. that is why steel used to be used back in the days of dacron and even fastflite strings. the pure dyneema strings are slightly faster and once settled, tend to be stable enough. Some guys use ultra cam or the 450 (12 strands or so) or 452 (16-18 or so-its thinner) for the main string as well though I find that 8125 or D97 tends to stay put after a few hundred shots if the string as made well.

450 and ultra cam are blends of non stretch but not very durable VECTRAN and the far more durable DYNEEMA ( HMPE I think is another name for the stuff that you will see on the spool of ultracam)

S4-the first blended stuff (Brownell) was vectran and fastflite. the original 450 (i think they called it 450 premium, now its 450 plus or something like that) had MORE vectran than dyneema and it fuzzed up quickly so they increased the % of dyneema and thus increased durability

some people used mostly vectran stings (I believe this was called streamline) but it could fail. I have found that S4 can blow every once in a while-something I never understood since fastflite strings last thousands upon thousands of shots/

just based on what I have seen (and I have tied hundreds of strings too and examined hundreds of ones that had worn out on bows brought to the shop where I help out)

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I put 8125 on all my string and cables, once I will shoot 100 or so arrows, the string and cables will be set and not move a bit?!

Thanks for all the infos Jim C!

·
Archery Coach
23,327 Posts
Pete-I don't know if it will settle -on my recurve bows it isn't noticeable and a few twists can rectify any change if it were to happen. I would go with the non-stretch stuff on the cables-I used to shoot a Hoyt Pro Star with all fastflite but with those E wheels I never had much problems.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I put 8125 for string and cables on my 70# hunting bow and once the string and cables has stretch a bit, everything was fine!

I was using this on my recurve too and after 100 arrows, a few turn and it wasn't moving!

I just don't want to make a mistake by ordering the wrong stuff.

Is the 8125 on cables is longer to set? May be this is why people put 450 on the cables.

In conclusion, if I put two different string material am I right with this combo:

BCY 450 for cables
BCY 8125 for string

or

Brownell Ultracam for cables
Brownell D75 thin for string

·
Archery Coach
23,327 Posts
that sounds like a good set up to me

1 - 13 of 13 Posts