Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started with D97 (16 strands), and recently tried 8190 (24 strands). I know both are more than necessary strand wise for my 42#OTF, but just what I have. The D97 is noticeable quiet at the same BH. does that make sense? How does 8125 compare?
I like the D97. I bought it as a stock string from LAS. My only complaint is that it has stretched a couple of times.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I started with D97 (16 strands), and recently tried 8190 (24 strands). I know both are more than necessary strand wise for my 42#OTF, but just what I have. The D97 is noticeable quiet at the same BH. does that make sense? How does 8125 compare?
I like the D97. I bought it as a stock string from LAS. My only complaint is that it has stretched a couple of times.
That's what happens when you take the wrong advice. Maybe they will pay you back the damages?:)

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
They are all fine materials. 8125 was the precursor to 8190. 8190 is thinner. You should be fine with any of the materials you mentioned.

Different materials have differing stretch characteristics. You could make yourself nuts, or just adjust the BH to where the bow gets quiet. All those materials are very capable. Choose one material, rough tune it and go shoot.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I am sorry, I am do not understand your comment.
I remember the thread where you asked for advice on bow strings and thread count.
The people with the high post count recomended from 12 to 16 threads of D97.

I guess they really didn't know what they were talking about. So next time don't just look at the post count and fancy names and sticky's when taking advice. Or just look on my signature for help.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used 16 count, and I like it. I was asking a question about noise as it relates to 8190 and if the noise I am hearing makes sense. I prefer the 16 count D97 as it stands now, with that said, I am just trying to learn and experiment. I took their advice and was just looking to experiment with other options since that time.

I did not realize there was only one way to do something.

Hey but thanks for the wise remark. Says a lot.

I remember the thread where you asked for advice on bow strings and thread count.
The people with the high post count recomended from 12 to 16 threads of D97.

I guess they really didn't know what they were talking about. So next time don't just look at the post count and fancy names and sticky's when taking advice. Or just look on my signature for help.

·
Registered
280 Posts
If you think that's normal then I wasted my time with you. Have a nice day:wink:

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you think that's normal then I wasted my time with you. Have a nice day:wink:
It is just your approach. Never said anything about normal, and that was the D97 that was recommended, hence my question.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It is just your approach. Never said anything about normal, and that was the D97 that was recommended, hence my question.
That sure sounded like a question to me. There is nothing wrong with D97 as long as you use 18 strand with 19 thousands serving that is what I use with 42#otf with no stretch. But don't take my word for it call LAS and speak with Dan, he doesn't belone to this forum( I wonder why :rolleyes:) BTW D97 is what Dan uses too.

Try to be more precise with wording your questions next time.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That sure sounded like a question to me. There is nothing wrong with D97 as long as you use 18 strand with 19 thousands serving that is what I use with 42#otf with no stretch. But don't take my word for it call LAS and speak with Dan, he doesn't belone to this forum( I wonder why :rolleyes:) BTW D97 is what Dan uses too.

Try to be more precise with wording your questions next time.
Truthfully, I think my words were precise, I think you read quick and answer quicker.
With that said, if you look at my prior thread with any level of precision, you will see that many suggested 14-16 strand D97. I went with D97 16 strand.
As I stated, that is the material that has stretched, b/c it is just stock stuff that LAS has, and I do not believe it is prestretched.

I was interested in the sound qualities of the materials. That was my question...

"The D97 is noticeable quiet at the same BH. does that make sense? How does 8125 compare?"

I am not looking to continue an argument. I will take into consideration that my question should be framed more carefully.
Your approach is off putting, my free advice: consider how you engage others.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Truthfully, I think my words were precise, I think you read quick and answer quicker.
With that said, if you look at my prior thread with any level of precision, you will see that many suggested 14-16 strand D97. I went with D97 16 strand.
As I stated, that is the material that has stretched, b/c it is just stock stuff that LAS has, and I do not believe it is prestretched.

I was interested in the sound qualities of the materials. That was my question...

"The D97 is noticeable quiet at the same BH. does that make sense? How does 8125 compare?"

I am not looking to continue an argument. I will take into consideration that my question should be framed more carefully.
Your approach is off putting, my free advice: consider how you engage others.
I wasted too much effort with you all ready but you should note that most of the people in this forum are like you or should I say like a woman, have to internalize every thing and have to write by there feeling I write quick and to the point. Try and grow a pair. I will take you advice and put you on my ignore list. It doen't take smarts to hurl arrow at a target!

·
12 stepper for gear...
4,181 Posts
I wasted too much effort with you all ready but you should note that most of the people in this forum are like you or should I say like a woman, have to internalize every thing and have to write by there feeling I write quick and to the point. Try and grow a pair. I will take you advice and put you on my ignore list. It doen't take smarts to hurl arrow at a target!
Did I call that one or what???

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I have been using 8125 in 16 strand do some bad reviews of noise on 8190. I do have some older D97 strings as well have not compared for noise to 8125. Finding the sweet spot in tiller and brace height will cure most noise issues. And yes that many strands of 8190 is overkill unless you need a tow strap, too many strand count equals more oscillation, hence noise. With my 8125 at 16 strand .024 serving fits a large groove nock perfect without buildup.

The dog is ornery this fine evening:darkbeer:

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Your quickness leads to your inaccurate responses.

Try not to internalize so much.

At least I did not waste mine. I am glad you will no longer comment on my threads.
Thank you.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have been using 8125 in 16 strand do some bad reviews of noise on 8190. I do have some older D97 strings as well have not compared for noise to 8125. Finding the sweet spot in tiller and brace height will cure most noise issues. And yes that many strands of 8190 is overkill unless you need a tow strap, too many strand count equals more oscillation, hence noise. With my 8125 at 16 strand .024 serving fits a large groove nock perfect without buildup.

The dog is ornery this fine evening:darkbeer:

Thank you for the response. I did not realize that 8190 had some bad noise reviews. I tried the material, as I mentioned, as more of an experiment and was curious if my findings were consistent.
I will consider 8125 in the future. I had thought more strands would result in a quieter string...I did not consider the other possibility.
thanks.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I made 18 strand 8190 strings for a while for my Border / Hoyt hybrid but am now using D97 (16 strands) with 36 pounds on the finger because this is the quietest string I've made. (14 strands of D97 was a bit noisy though). So for my bow the 16 strand D97 string is the best combination I've found yet but there's no science behind it. When I was making 14 strand D97 strings they would creep a little bit but the 16 strand D97 string has been very stable even over our hot Arizona summer. It might be an old-fashioned material but for me it seems to be best.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I made 18 strand 8190 strings for a while for my Border / Hoyt hybrid but am now using D97 (16 strands) with 36 pounds on the finger because this is the quietest string I've made. (14 strands of D97 was a bit noisy though). So for my bow the 16 strand D97 string is the best combination I've found yet but there's no science behind it. When I was making 14 strand D97 strings they would creep a little bit but the 16 strand D97 string has been very stable even over our hot Arizona summer. It might be an old-fashioned material but for me it seems to be best.
Thank you. I really like the D97 (16strand) as far as noise and was considering 8125 done the line as an alternative. What Borders do you have and how do you like them.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Thank you. I really like the D97 (16strand) as far as noise and was considering 8125 done the line as an alternative. What Borders do you have and how do you like them.
I have Border Hex6 BB2 on a 27 inch HPX -- 34 pound limbs (rated at 28 inch on 25 inch RX riser) give 36 pounds at my 30 inch draw on HPX riser with tiller bolts wound out all 6 turns.

I like them a lot because they are very energetic but could have gone with about four pounds lighter draw weight and still gotten good results at 70 meters. Best reason to buy Border Hex is to keep your draw weight low.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts