Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 60" 58# @ 28" Chaparral Kaibab longbow and it is eating through any string I put on it! First I had a name brand string on it I think it was called a rocky mountain muffler string and it was made out of dynaflight 97 and half of the srtands broke about 50-60 shots on the top overlay on the right side. Next I put a fast flight 16 strand string on it and about 100 arrows later my brace hight dropped from 6 1/2" to 5" and in the same spot as before half the strands were broke!
I NEED your advise on this! Should I try a string out of B50? Should I shoot a heavier arrow? right now I'm shooting a 29" 2114 with a 125 grain tip total arrow wieght is 470 grains. I just don't know what could be causing the string to break that quickly, I've looked at the overlays and there is nothing wrong. HELP!!!

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Odds are it's the overlay not the strings. Run your finger through the limb tip or a piece of tissue and see where it catches, I bet you have some rough spots that are wearing through you strings. If you bought it new you could send it back or just takes some extremley fine grit sandpaper and smooth them out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
What Vermonster said. I had a bow that cut a string pretty quickly and found it had a sharp spot in the string groove. I was reluctant to start sanding myself on a custom bow, but tried it anyway. Got it smoothed out then covering it with the same polyurethane that I use to dip my arrows. Looks like new--can't tell that I ever worked on it from looking at it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts