Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cut a few strands while switching out the peep sight on my Mathews Vertix. I don't have a bow press that will allow me to change the complete set. I'm thinking the best way to handle this is buy a new set online then find a shop to install them. Are shops generally okay with I stalling strings not purchased from them? Can you recommend a shop north of Atlanta GA?

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Don't know how far it is from but the ace hardware in social circle is a pretty good shop

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's about a 90 mile round trip. Not awful if they could do the work while I waited.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Yes they should be ok installing it being another brand
I ship strings out all the time that people take to shops and have installed

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51,121 Posts
Just remember it is a business and the labor cost could run $50 to $100 to change and reset the bow up. It's just not slapping a new set on and go.
If a shop refuses then it really isn't a shop and should be avioded at all costs. If you have friends that also shoot ask them where they go. A good shop is worth a road trip. Where did you buy the bow to begin with. If it was from Mathews dealer new that is where I would go.

·
Rattle Yer Head!
1,257 Posts
You would have to talk to the shop about that, our general opinions on what a shop would or wouldn't do, doesn't matter. You would most likely have to pay labor to have it done, too.

·
Archery Addict
9,251 Posts
I would call the shop and ask what kinds of strings they use, or if they build their own. My shop will order what strings I want, but they build their own strings and they are top quality. I have taken strings to the shop and had them put them on, install peep, and put everything in spec and they charged $50 for the install and setup. A set of new strings, peep, installation and tune will cost about $100-150 depending on each shop. I no longer have a press but I trust the guys at my shop and they do a fantastic job on everything archery related.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Often the money saved from ordering custom strings is lost by paying a higher install fee at the shop. Most shops will install their strings at a better cost. A phone call to the shop couldnt hurt

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
the last two comments above are spot on. talk to the shop and ask about what brands they use and if they will install someone else's strings. many times installing "outside brands" will carry a labor charge that makes the cost of replacing a string more than the cost of getting the string the shop makes. at least give the shop the opportunity to make a little on the string they put on for you. there is a shop near me that builds all the strings they sell, they have a good reputation for their strings and they do an excellent job. you get a custom made string installed, in the colors and choice of materials you want, for the same cost of buying a well known commercial string......can't go wrong. a lot depends on who owns the shop. some owners are absentee owners and don't want the liability of building strings and some are owned by real archery enthusiasts, that have no problem going the extra mile to sell people quality equipment. when you find a shop like the later,....it's worth getting to know them supporting them by giving them your business. it will always pay off in the long run.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. I bought the bow on the classifieds here so no going back to the original dealer.

There's a Mathews dealer about a 45 minute drive from me. I've done business with them before and have been happy with their work. They are closed on most of my days off so this could get take a while to get done if multiple trips are involved.

I suppose the best case scenario is I give them my card number, have them order strings, then set an appointment to have them installed and the bow set up while I'm there. I'll call tomorrow.

·
Registered
2009 Mathews Drenalin - 28.5"/70#
237 Posts
I just bought some from Mike at Catfish Customs, then took it to my local shop. They charged $90 for installation, d-loop, tuning, and installing my peep. They let me take the time to shoot it and were good on the inspection (it had something wonky going on with it). Although, that seems a bit steep, I'm ok with helping their business and will definitely be going back for their indoor range. Either way, like stated above, you're best off giving them a call ahead of time.

·
Registered
24,100 Posts
I just bought some from Mike at Catfish Customs, then took it to my local shop. They charged $90 for installation, d-loop, tuning, and installing my peep. They let me take the time to shoot it and were good on the inspection (it had something wonky going on with it). Although, that seems a bit steep, I'm ok with helping their business and will definitely be going back for their indoor range. Either way, like stated above, you're best off giving them a call ahead of time.
This is precisely why a bow press is a good investment.....if you plan on staying with archery and have some basic mechanical skills. At $90 a set, plus travel and time, it doesn't take long to recover the investment of a press. In addition, you will have the confidence and enjoyment of having done a good job yourself. There is a learning curve, but many online resources to get you started. If something were to happen to your bow during hunting season, you would be X in line at the bow shop....or you could be figuring it out in your basement or shop that same day.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I think my shop charges 10 or 20 buck to press the bow.
last time they did it for free.

High on my purchase list a Green press as soon as cash allows, trying to build a bow for my sons friend.
he is shooting a junker I have I want to build him a reasonable bow. His parents are not in a spot to help at this time.

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
Alaska is spot on!! Even if a full size press is not an option, a decent portable press would pay for itself on the first string change.

Sent from my SM-G532M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Alaska is spot on!! Even if a full size press is not an option, a decent portable press would pay for itself on the first string change.

Sent from my SM-G532M using Tapatalk
are there any for beyond parallel

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mitch's archery is the shop I was referring to earlier. I have a portable press but I don't think I can use it safely with this bow. I'd say the limbs are beyond parallel. I'd built a home made press for the bow to take pressure off strings for peep adjustments, but I wouldn't try doing replacing the cables with it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts