Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fell in love with archery and have been shooting a cheap PSE Uprising, sold to me as a beginner bow, since June. A couple months ago, a bad nock slipped my string and my bow dry fired. A good shop fixed the bow but said I should get new strings in the near future. My question is... is it worth it to get new strings that cost almost half the price of the bow, or just hold out and save up for a new bow? Feels like I'm spending $1500 fixing a car worth $3000.. if that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
If you inspect the strings, check the brace height and axle to axle and if everything looks good, I wouldn't buy a new set of strings just because of a dry fire. I had a bow that I put on the drawboard that dry fired when the nocking loop broke. It slipped the string but no other damage. I pressed it and put the strings and cables back on the cams and went outside and shot it. About a week later the string brushed my coat on a shot and it once again jumped the cams. I pressed it and reinstalled the string and kept shooting. Some bows haven't been set up to get every ounce of energy out of the limbs. The ones that are very often have limb and cam failure on a dry fire. The more docile bows seem to take some abuse.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
If you inspect the strings, check the brace height and axle to axle and if everything looks good, I wouldn't buy a new set of strings just because of a dry fire. I had a bow that I put on the drawboard that dry fired when the nocking loop broke. It slipped the string but no other damage. I pressed it and put the strings and cables back on the cams and went outside and shot it. About a week later the string brushed my coat on a shot and it once again jumped the cams. I pressed it and reinstalled the string and kept shooting. Some bows haven't been set up to get every ounce of energy out of the limbs. The ones that are very often have limb and cam failure on a dry fire. The more docile bows seem to take some abuse.
That is why I always use an extra safety cord around the string while using my draw board, just in case the d-loop does break or slip loose.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Archeryshackstrings.com have a package for 45 bucks if interested. They call them their El Cheapo string and cable set. I just ordered a set for my daughters boyfriend to put on his Diamond Infinite Edge.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
You already fixed the bow might as well go all in.

·
Fall address: The Woods
930 Posts
The question is: Have your skills improved enough to upgrade to different model bow? Or does this bow feel comfortable to you. It's all about liking what you shoot that keeps you shooting. Visit a bow shop and try out different bows. If you find something that feels and shoots better for you maybe it's time to upgrade. If not, buy a new set of strings.

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
3,786 Posts
i see what you are saying but a new bow is a heck of a lot more expensive. i guess it depends how much you are willing to put into it and where you are financially. i would probably just find a cheap set of strings but if you want more quality out of strings it is worth putting the money into

·
BIG FRANK....
8,681 Posts
Get it on E-Bay they are cheaper but good quality..

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you restring it you may find that your cheaper bow doesn't shoot like a cheap bow anymore and you may reach its full potential. And you will also have a back up bow if you purchase a mid range or flagship.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
That is why I always use an extra safety cord around the string while using my draw board, just in case the d-loop does break or slip loose.
I no longer use the D loop. I have a heavy piece of leather with two holes that I wrap around the string then put the hook through the holes. It was made for replicating the width of fingers for checking trad bows. The string will break before this leather will.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts