Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What string size, how many twists etc do I need. I'm new to traditional archery and purchased a Bear Grizzly with writings that say KR62637 AMO-58" 45#... I'll be using the bow for 3d shoots and hunting if possible. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
You need an A.M.O. 58" string which will be ~53.5--54" long. Number of twists will be determined by tuning the arrows and bow.

45# will take all but the largest of North American game quite easily.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, is there someone on AT you'd recommend buying a string from or a website to get one. I'm not sure there's many around here that build strings but I'll ask around.

·
Stick Flinger
819 Posts
Go to 3rivers buy a flemish jig and some B50 string and have fun. Well maybe not fun. Actually frustration. It's a bit of a learning curve, but then when you need a string you can make one yourself.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
go to www.recurves.com very impressive work from this guy
The above is Chad Weaver and goes by the user name of LBR on here. I think he's a moderator too here on AT. He made my present D97 bowstring that's on my 42# recurve. It's a very good string.

·
Registered
9,880 Posts
+1 on LBR's strings. Champion Bowstrings. Nice strings delivered in a timely manor, $18 delivered.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Thanks for the info, is there someone on AT you'd recommend buying a string from or a website to get one. I'm not sure there's many around here that build strings but I'll ask around.
Ebay. There are several builders that will build to your specs and ship for $10 some $12 dollars (shipping included). One that used to get a lot of billing here at AT was seller "stilldub" - he now has an archery store on Ebay. Email what you have and want or ask his opinion and he used to ship next day by mail. Excellent build and service.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts