Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a video using a string separator to install a peep sight without needing a bow press. I was curious if it's really as easy to use as shown and does it really not damage the bowstrings?

Anyone have any experience with using one?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Never tried one and never will. I'm sure they are cheap to buy and probably work, but what if it didn't:mg:

·
Registered
49,078 Posts
Yes they work but you need to be careful with them. But nothing beats/safer than using a press. Can you damage a string with them-----yup.:)

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
They work fine. Just wax the string and put a little wax on the string spliter.

·
Banned
1,312 Posts
As others have said. They work great just be careful because you can pop some strands if you try to force it through. I have been using one for years.

·
Hoyt Nation Life Member
15,077 Posts
Take everyones advise and use one. Come back to this thread and bump it and tell us how it went.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
They work fine. Just wax the string and put a little wax on the string spliter.
If you don't wax the string and the splitter you will surely have problems. Don't ask how I know... :embara:

But if you are very careful and pre-wax, it can work but it is not recommended! Using a press is the best and safest way to do it.:shade:

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
you can split string strands if you are not careful and it is hard to get the string exactly in half with the splitter to get the same amount of string on both sides of the peep. they do work in emergency situations. but if you already have a peep and want to switch em out you can use the splitter to keep the string separated and add the new peep in. i usually use my splitter and the back end of a tootbrush. one on each side. just make sure the shaft of the toothbrush is a smooth finish so you dont damage the string sliding it in and out. also once you get the string separated evenly i like to put a piece of serving or dental floss thru it to mark my spot and can always get back to it later. a press is still the best option if you can get to one.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
They worked fine on older bows but with some of the newer parallel and preloaded limbs the risk of damaging the string is greater.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys for all the replies. My Dad's always said, I'd never be a 'finish carpenter', so going with the mentality of be easy when using it, I think I'll take the advice to pass and use a press.

Appreciate all the replies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts