Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just recieved my first crossbow, a PSE Sidewinder. In following some of the advise recieved on this forum I have also puchased the recommended Dalton wax. There has been some recommendation that only the string be waxed and not the serving? In looking at my string it is indeed mostly serving! All of the string going around the wheels or would come in contact with the wheels has serving on it as well as about 8" where the string rides on the rail. There is really very little non-served string on the bow.

This has probably been discussed a great deal but could you please give a new poster some help. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
I will not recommend against what a manufacturer tells you. I will say that if you over wax the serving on an Excal the excess will end up in the trigger unit. Dalton High Speed String Conditioner is soft enough to penetrate the serving if applied the night before and excess can be wiped off so that it will not end up dropping into the trigger unit which is one of every crossbow makers nightmare. Dalton will reduce wear on the serving as well as act as a lubricant between the string strands under the serving where the most abuse occurs. If you do not want much lube on the serving then just rub the serving to redistribute the lube. On Excaliburs apply wax periodically wil no ill affects.
I some times find the string destroyed under the serving when I reserve someone else's string. I have never declared a string dead for any other reason except damage under the serving.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks, DNK:

I've always been told NOT to wax the served areas, but others have told me the same thing you wrote, namely that most wear occurs UNDER the served areas. This means that the string's useful life is determined by the unwaxed areas and that waxing other areas does not help string life!

It seems to me that waxing the served areas is the best way to improve string life.

So, am I correct on this and should I be using the Dalton conditioner ON the served areas, please?

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
PM sent

·
Registered
15 Posts
wax only goes on the string not the serving. For the serving you need to get rail lube, you put this on the rail and thr seving and work it in, you do not want a build up on the string so it does not get in to your triger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts