Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok i have a 2003 martin jaguar with a whipsher bisket rest, truglo 4 pin sight 29 in draw 70 lds string leeches, limbs savers ,truglo doinker stabilzer, in from of a eastman 8 in extenion and a 3 arrow detachable quiver. easton caronaeros carbon exel 400 8.1 gpi and a 125 muzzy 3 blade broadhead thats about i only thing i dont have that might help is a cable silcencers

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I have cat whiskers on my bow right now. I like the string leeches the best, but they just don't stay on the string very long. I usually shoot at least one of them off within a week or so. They are just too expensive to keep buying only to have them fly apart that quick. So I would say cat whiskers are the best.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
The first thing to jump out is the detachable quiver. Take it off and see if the noise is still there. You didn't mention your rest. some fall away's are loud. You omitted your peep. The fine line with the tube sometimes gets to slaping into the cables with some set ups. My experience with Martins is that they are somewhat louder than many other bows when shot at high poundage. 70 lbs is getting there and I'm guessing your arrow is about 375-grains it it is 29" if it is 27" its about 360-grains. If your arrows are 360-grains or lighter at 70#, you probably have a somewhat loud bow. Just my guess. Cable silencers don't do much - a little. Check the quiver.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
when i was shoting it the quiver was off i shoot with a peep that has a tube like i said be for i have a whipsher bisket arrow rest. i would like to make it more quiet! can i put anything on it to help it

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
How heavy is your arrow? You probably don't want to shoot wtih 2 leaches on the top and on the bottom. But put them there and shot a couple times. If the noise goes away it's in the string. If not you've eliminated another posibility. Check the peep tube to see if it is hitting the cables on the shot. If so you can change the length a little to elinimate that. What's the arrow weight?

·
Registered
363 Posts
If your having problems with your leeches falling off, serve them in. Our archery shop does it like this and I have had no problems with them falling out. IMO, they make the bow way quieter than cat whiskers. Pluck a string with leeches, the pluck a string with cat whiskers. Its a world of difference.

Just serve on the botom, leave some extra serving hanging. Go through the middle of the leech with the excess serving and serve on top with the same excess serving.

Attachments

·
Registered Elker
7,716 Posts
A Peep sight with a rubber tube makes alot of noise. Might look into a different sight setup. The whisker donut will also make some noise but it's not much. I use a whisker but I feel the noise is marginal.

·
Registered Elker
7,716 Posts
Load? I assume you mean loud. Yes and no. The problem with shooting an arrow faster is that the arrow absorbs less of the energy upon release. the bow would most likely shoot a noticable amount quieter with a heavier arrow. Even is the arrow was only 40 grains more. He can probably find a way to shoot reasonable quiet with his bow but with that light of an arrow the bow will always make a little extra noise.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Love my leaches!
I also think your arrow weight may be causing extra noise and vibration. See if you can fire a heavier arrow just for kicks. You may be really impressed. I know it is hard to change arrows!! let me know what you find out.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Your math is not right. 28.5" X 8.1 GPI = 231gr + 125 broadhead = 356gr before you even add in your fletching, nock and point insert. You are probably close to a 400gr arrow. The only way to know for sure is to weigh one. Any Proshop should be able to do that for you (or if you know someone who reloads rifle cartridges ... that's how I weigh mine!).

It sounds like you have plenty of arrow weight. I have tried leeches and those Alpine archery "String Things" I think they're called. I keep going back to Cat Whiskers since they stay on and THEY WORK!!

Good luck ... Crayfish

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.