Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any huge speed difference between old school cat whiskers vs. limb saver string leeches? 2-3 fps isn't that big of a deal but 5-10 would be. Anyone who has chrono'd this with the same bow just different silencers would like to hear your findings.
Thanks, Ryan

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Have you tried shooting without either?
I accidentally tore my limb saver leech. On a suggestion from someone else, I shot my now and noticed no sound difference.
I still have the leech on the cable but not the string.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'll be testing these out on my next visit to my shop, hopefully in the next day or 2. I'll do my best to find this thread and let you know of my findings. I already have a pretty quiet rig, but why not go quieter if it doesn't hurt?!

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm shooting a heli-m and shot stock setup which is just one monkey tail at the bottom of the string and noticed a very slight buzz from the string. I put a monkey tail at the top and it quieted it down. I have since added cat whiskers and it seems just as quiet if not a touch quieter. I just don't care for the look of the monkey tails or I would keep those on and call it good.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I had some string buzz on my MR8 and put some Monkey tails on my string and cable and they are lasting very well and no buzz rattle noise what so ever... Have heard mixed reviews on the leeches but have to use a press to put them in.. Whiskers are a stand by and use just a little bit not the huge ball like they used to use and they work great with only 1-3 fps difference...

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
String silencers are not needed on today's bows.
yes , i also am curious as to why you make that claim ? All the top companies install all sorts of dampners from the factory to stop vibration. I always read and absorb most of your posts by the way.
Just curious .

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I can understand bp1992 point. I think it is due to technology and the string stops on today's bows. I'm not saying it is not necessary, although I always take the string silencers off. I can tell a difference, but it is so little I do not worry about it.

·
Registered
23,332 Posts
The bows made today already shoot so smooth and quiet that I just do not see the use in string silencers. I'm not saying they hurt anything (besides slowing the bow down by a few fps), just saying they are not neccessary.

·
The Buck Drops Here
5,925 Posts
I'll actually agree with him on this one.

I don't feel they add a significant difference in sound dampening, but they help with noise and string oscillation IMO.

Most wouldn't notice a difference in a side by side comparison unless you had a DB meter handy in a controlled enviornment.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
hmmm , i just put some monkey tails on this new Alphaburner that i'm setting up and accessorizing and have some Bowjax on the way . I have yet to shoot the bow . I simply want it to be whisper quiet and no shock even though ??? I can afford the 2 - 3 fps for a more comfy type bow .Heck , if i wanna get super fast i will look at newer arrows and pick up a bunch of speed . Speed doesn't kill , it's the impact that hurts.
Dorkbuck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts