Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What string silencer quiets string on compound bows most effectively?

String Leech, Super String Leech, Tunerz String Stoppers, Ultra Bow Jack, Spider Speed Silencer, Speed Lizard, Tarantula String Bats, or the simple cat whiskers and Beaver Balls.

Same question for Recurves, Long Bows, and Crossbows? There's alot of products on the market!

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Quiet but not durable and fast???

Good question, and I am sure that there are a dozen answers depending on what each person likes.

You might re-post this under the general archery discussion to get more responses, but let me try to help a little.

Best for reducing noise would be the cat wiskers and beaver balls. This is true for all bows, but the speed of the arrow is hurt, the durability of cat wiskers is low with a compound bow, and beaver balls that are wet are a nightmare.

String Leaches are one of the better items to quiet down a bow, but 500 shots and they need replacing on most compounds. You can get a few more shots on a low-vib bow, but not much. Super String Leaches last a lot more, but you seem to get a slight bit more vibs.

I like the super bow jacks that are split and attach to the string with a zip tie. They do not work as well as the string leaches or cat wiskers, but I can take them off and put them on without them changing the peep rotation.

I find the string lizard is great for traditional bows, but I am not a fan of them for compounds.

As for the rest, I have not tried them yet; perhaps in the future I will get the chance.

One last catagory that you have asked is for cross bows. I do not shoot a cross bow, and I am not sure that I would want to, but I do know that they usually have a very harsh vibration that tears most silencers. Only the super string leach seems to stand up from what I have heard.

I have chosen to use the super string leach for my bow. It is readily available at this time, and it seems to last. It reduces the speed of the arrow only 1 or 2 fps. This time next year may reveal a totally different opinion, but for this hunting season, the die is cast. :thumbs_up

1 - 2 of 2 Posts