Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some cat whiskers i want to tie on my string and dont have any serving and wondered what i could use instead

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
dental floss, unflavored.

-Grant

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I prefer the mint flavored kind. I think it works SOOOOO much better than the plain kind!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

:)

·
Registered
837 Posts
Some strands off an old bow string perhaps? I actually like the limb saver string leeches. Just pop them between your bundles. Very simple and easy to adjust. No need to tie them in. They are pricey but I think it's worth it for what you get. Peace of mind.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
I use power pro which is braided fishing line,any braided line20# or more will work .The small cable ties work if you want your whiskers dangling ,the fishing line lets you make round balls their is a u-tube vid showing you how Google it .

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
I love cat whiskers. If you address the sources of noise where they originate, tuning for spine, tiller/nock height, limb vibration, string slap, you really don't need much at all. I serve on in four places, at 1/4 and 1/3 intervals between the braced string lift points, and half of the 'standard allocation' for two locations is far more than enough for all four. Then, I trim even more off, so that each has a total lengthh of about 2" or less. Works great, stays put, haven't had any fly off.

Where I have seen poor applications is where people take the full length, tie it into a knot around the string, and leave it at that. You now have a whole bunch of mass, much of it contributing little to damping, and the tune will shift as the blobs slide over time.

·
Registered
230 Posts
For some years I have been making my own with thin suede leather. I make really thin strips with a double edge razor blade, make sure they are all the same length, and tie them on. They work just as well as cat whiskers, and they are a lot lighter than they look, lighter than cat whiskers if I remember correctly, but don't hold me to that. They can also last years and can be taken off and reused for a new string.

·
Registered
240 Posts
All interesting alternatives I suppose, but really, good old rubber "cat whiskers" work so well for me(and they're cheap to boot) that I don't see the need to keep experimenting anymore. Yarn puffs are a close second, IMHO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts