Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
33,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question. My Trykon has a very nasty case of string slap. I have leeches installed. My question, is the only way to get rid of this is by using a STS???? The bow is set at 73# and I have never had a bow slap this bad. I have always had my hunting bows between 70# & 75#. Any help or opinions would be greaty appreciated.
Thanks

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
I always blame too much draw length or improper grip on string slap.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I had the same issue when I got my Trykon. Same draw, poundage, etc. as my other bows.
I put an STS on it; problem solved.

Ted

·
33,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tedlebo said:
I had the same issue when I got my Trykon. Same draw, poundage, etc. as my other bows.
I put an STS on it; problem solved.

Ted
That is what I figured. What the heck did people do before STS??

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
First, lose those leeches and get some cat whiskers. Leeches are junk and may even cost you an eye.

If the bow is still not tame enough, an STS will do the trick just fine. But serioulsy, lose the leeches.

Automan

·
Registered
971 Posts
string slap is 100% form or setup you can stopit with gadgets but your form remains the same, my advice is find a club with a good coach
Cheers:)
Peter

·
Registered
12,895 Posts
My sons Trykon had the same problem, first of all the stock string had to go Vapor trail then added STS... presto ...Deadly quiet.
I just bought one of Coolhandluke's CHL-Vibestoppers for my Ross to replace my STS system just liked the way cleaner lines and cheaper price.
But some form of STS will help. Awesome bow though.

·
33,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys, I do not want to sound like a snob, but this isn't from form. I have three other bows and do not have this problem. I shoot about 200 - 300 arrows a week and did not have a problem with this bow until I cranked it up for hunting. I know what you are going to say, crank it back down. That would take care of it, however I feel more comfortable at this poundage.
Thanks

·
Registered
971 Posts
Cranking the bow up will shorten DL hence a change in the F word
Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
tjandy said:
Guys, I do not want to sound like a snob, but this isn't from form. I have three other bows and do not have this problem. I shoot about 200 - 300 arrows a week and did not have a problem with this bow until I cranked it up for hunting. I know what you are going to say, crank it back down. That would take care of it, however I feel more comfortable at this poundage.
Thanks
I have to agree on this; my two other bows are PSE Baby Gforce bows.
One is an original '96, the other a '97 single maxis cam. Both have less than 6" bracing height, both have the very same draw length, and both will rip your arm off if you aren't careful. I can pick up either one of them on any day, and NO string slap with either of them. With my Trykon, same draw, same weight, every third or fourth shot will slap me silly. So, STS to the rescue.

Ted

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
For Hoyts I sell the regular STS at great prices. Shoot me a PM. For rear mounts you can take a look at my MeanV system custom string suppressors. Complete in black or camo of your choice. They also come with the BigJax Dampener:)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
well i dont have a trykon but i have a ultra tec and i was getting really bad string slap with it and i thought well my draw length is to long so i got up with Gary at www.kriskustomarchery.com and we shorten my draw length and he had me change my grip some and now im not getting any slap what so ever. But the STS is suppose to help that also. I am going to get one myself and try it out.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I would fix / check the DL question first. Many, most, archers when really checked have too long a draw. Not me talking but several experts. Just because you are used to this DL does not mean that is correct. IF not absolutely sure check using one or more of the procedures outlined in threads on AT, or the Archer’s Friend website, or Bernie’s book, etc..

Also, I have read where many bows actual draw is different than published, could this be part of it? Have the actual draw checked. Could be these bows are on the long side? As a question...

The reason I focus on DL, as it is a significant reason for slap. It was in my case and I was in the fifty first state, (The state of denial), for about 1 year… At 6’1” I just HAD to have a 29” draw… even the pro-shop owner told me I was… However, once I actually measured!? It said I should be 28 to about 28.5”. I am now shooting 28” and never have hit my arm since! May try 28.5”

Also, even if you learn to overcome the slap, by adjustments, a too long draw has other, more subtle, downsides.. Like causing bad form, that causes you to be less steady, that can cause TP, etc..

I, personally do not agree that an STS should be used to allow a too long draw.. My opinion. Like the STS, but not for that.

Bernie, (And yes he is opinionated but that does not make him wrong), says that until the proper DL is established there no reason going further in form, etc.… Strong statement.. I tend to agree. again, my opinion.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
I agree a String Suppressor should not be used to fix the problem of arm slap that should not be there in the first place. There are many of other benefits it provides that causes me to screw on the back of my bow:)

Get the draw length right as well as your grip. Then enjoy a string suppressor for all the other +'s it provides. It will protect against the occasional accidental arm slap:)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sounds like the extra lbs are making you grip the handle different or causing you to hold your arm different. Its surprising how many people could stop string slap just because of form.

·
33,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am sorry, I should have been more clear. the string is not slapping my arm. The string is making a very loud slapping noise when released.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
If that's the case, put a regular mount sts on it. That will help a lot:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts