Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question:
What distance is best when it comes to the string stops distance to your string. example: Will the stop work better if it is touching the string while at rest or 1/8th of an inch from the string while at rest etc. Any opinions (facts would be preferred)? How does this effect vibration and noise?

· Registered
1,944 Posts
i like to have it just barely touch at rest. i mean where you can almost see light through it when you hold it up in the light. it seems when i set them where they dont touch you feel a little vibe when it bounces off the stop and has a pop to it when it hits. it can also pop if you have it crunched too close .

· Registered
1,897 Posts
No hard and fast rule for this.
best way is to hit the range with a few tools needed to move the string stop.
start shooting with the string lightly touching the stop. then move it back in very small increments and shoot again.
the bow will let you know when its happy.

· Registered
1,155 Posts
No hard and fast rule for this.
best way is to hit the range with a few tools needed to move the string stop.
start shooting with the string lightly touching the stop. then move it back in very small increments and shoot again.
the bow will let you know when its happy.
What he said. It is different for every bow. Some work best just touching some work best with a slim ( credit card thickness) space between the stop and the string. only thing you can do is shoot a bunch of arrows and see what works best for you.

· Shootin and Cussin
27,305 Posts
i like to have it just barely touch at rest. i mean where you can almost see light through it when you hold it up in the light. it seems when i set them where they dont touch you feel a little vibe when it bounces off the stop and has a pop to it when it hits. it can also pop if you have it crunched too close .
Agree....

· Registered
415 Posts
I usually have them just touching, but I just bought a Bowtech Captain and when I shoot with it just off or barely touching it has a slap sound that sounds like a hollow tube. I adjusted it a bit more into the string and the sound is alot better. I ordered a after market stop that fits the Captain that isn't hollow so I hope that I can go back to barely on the string. Sometimes you just have to play around a bit to find what works best.

· Design&Hunt
1,763 Posts
I set mine up so that it has just the slightest tension against the string. This way the string is already in contact with the bumper and when it is release it makes full contact and absorbs from there. I also tried it with a little bit a space between the bumper and the string and found it to be a bit louder. The way I was told to install it was have a little be of tension on the string, others have said leave the slightest bit of space... It is really a tomato/tamato thing if you ask me.

· Registered
4,736 Posts
My AM32 likes it just touching the string. Any gap and I get a little buzz from the string, but some bows like it with a little gap.

· Socket Man
25,927 Posts
also try moving it up and down the string, when they first came out guys tried to move them up as far as possible towards the d-loop. Many of us and now bow companies have found that down low produces the best feel. Bowtech even tried to do its string stopper on the general and other bows at the d-loop and now you see that down low is the preferred spot.

· Registered
427 Posts
also try moving it up and down the string, when they first came out guys tried to move them up as far as possible towards the d-loop. Many of us and now bow companies have found that down low produces the best feel. Bowtech even tried to do its string stopper on the general and other bows at the d-loop and now you see that down low is the preferred spot.
I thought one of the primary reasons they don't do it that way anymore is that people complained that it blocked some of the sight picture.

I have found with a soft rubber string stop, snug against the stop worked best. With a hard rubber stop just barely touching worked best.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.