Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new older Hoyt podium 37. First bow ever without string stop. It is quite noisy but I'm only killing paper. What are the advantages either way. Thanks for your input

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I read somewhere - that apart from making the bow quieter - as it causes the travel of the string upon release to come to a quicker stop - its supposed to increase the speed - maybe others can elaborate.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
I own a Hoyt PCE & never used a string stop I shoot 3D before the PCE I had a a Alpha Elite & took the string stop off & to be honest never noticed any thing missing.

·
Registered
51,110 Posts
Your killing paper with it so there is no advantage. Now if you were hunting I would highly suggest using one.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
I make them to fit. It makes the bow way more pleasant to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
872 Posts
I had a hoyt podium 37 with no string stop. The bow had more vibrations at the shot than what I was used to with my hunting bows. Some archers call this "feedback" and say they like to feel the bow. I personally didn't care for it so I hit up CoolhandLuke who just posted above and had him make me a suppressor. His price is unbeatable and it made a huge difference in the feel of the bow. Stabilizer choice and setup can help a lot but if you want a cheap and easy way to achieve a more pleasant shooting experience than you need to contact Luke.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,780 Posts
Your killing paper with it so there is no advantage. Now if you were hunting I would highly suggest using one.
Or if you want the bow REALLY quiet take it off and use cat whiskers.....but it will cost you about 8 FPS if you can live without it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to the Aussie buddies, at only 40lbs I'm not looking for speed but I can see that is what would happen. Yeah dale you're right but just st shocked me the first few times I shot it. If I can't live without one CHL is s the way to go. I see he puts the stop in the 1/4" hole. I wondered what Hoyt had in mind rather than 5/16.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Mine for the podium takes a base that mounts on the bow then your rod goes into the base. It 5/16-24 thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Thanks to the Aussie buddies, at only 40lbs I'm not looking for speed but I can see that is what would happen. Yeah dale you're right but just st shocked me the first few times I shot it. If I can't live without one CHL is s the way to go. I see he puts the stop in the 1/4" hole. I wondered what Hoyt had in mind rather than 5/16.
The prevails pictured in Luke's post are mine.
Before them, I had several Podiums.
I had his string stop on them as well.

My Podiums had Spiral Pro cams, a little more aggressive. My Prevails are all X3.

Aside from less vibration and noise, while still providing feedback...the best part about the stop is your sight and stabilizers won't come loose like they do without it.
I could hulk hands my stabs on, eventually, they'll come loose. Tried plastic and fiber washers, still come loose. Different brands and types of stab mounts.
Weights also eventually work their way loose, as well as the sight hold down bolt (dovetail).

No longer an issue.

I still get feedback on my Prevails and did my Podiums as well.
Obviously, make sure you serve the 1 to 1.5 inch area on the string where the stop will hit.

Now, does it make it faster? Yes. How much? I didn't run it through the chrono but it went an inch to inch and a half hot at 20 yards on an otherwise identical setup.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
The back hole is 1/4" for a weight / dampener

·
Registered
40 Posts
ive noticed more consistency without one on the hoyt bows. they are definatly louder but seem to shoot a little more consistantly without them

·
Registered
51,110 Posts
ive noticed more consistency without one on the hoyt bows. they are definatly louder but seem to shoot a little more consistantly without them
LOL consistency is a properly tuned bow and the shooter. That string stop is not going to make that much difference unless it isn't properly set. In fact there are way more positve things with it than without it.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
Yeah you could “properly” as is your favorite word, tune a bow huh? The same dumb ass that pressed a PSE with Hoyt adapters, then had the guts to PM Ontarget7 and ask him what to do. AFTER you try to discredit Shane and his custome tunes. You’re such as Fking joke I hope you die. The world would be a better place. FU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Give it a rest bro, you're only making yourself look bad at this point. Pretty pathetic...

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I shoot and hunt with a switchback xt. I have shot it since new and always loved the way it shot. Last year I put a CHL string stop on and am still amazed at the difference. It is a real pleasure to shoot. It was the best upgrade I have ever done.

·
Just thwackin' it.
7,200 Posts
I shot a Prevail 40 both with and without a string stop and I definitely will always have one. I'm not a fan of the vibes in the handle without it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys is coolhand luke still making string stops for a HOYT PODIUM and if so could you let me know and if you would ship to the uk. Thank you, sorry if this is an old thread.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts