Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new hoyt string today for my Hoyt buffalo (medium) and online it said string length is 60 for the medium. When I put the string on it put my brace height to 10 inches and it should be around 7-8. Will the string stretch enough to accomidate my brace height? or did the shop give me the wrong strings?

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,143 Posts
Better hope you don't get that much stretch. You got the wrong string, unless you are stringing the bow backward.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I may be wrong but I would think that a brace height of 10" is a little deep. On a recurve, 8" to 8 1/2" is the deepest I've ever heard people using.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ill take it back today. Its definately not the right string. itsfrustrating

·
Registered
803 Posts
My 60" hoyt buffalo takes a 57" string, just put a new one on it this week. am guessing you need a 59" string. Buffalo's like a brace height of around 8" to 8 1/4". run my at 8 1/8".
59" recommendation is for the medium limbs that make a 62" bow.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Get a custom string. They're pre-stretched and usually don't stretch much. Rick's didn't stretch at all. TOo bad he quit.

Bowmania

·
Registered
180 Posts
What is the AMO of your buffalo?

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment---your quiver and bow---and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

·
Registered
980 Posts
2 full inches is a lot of stretch. Bye bye, wrong string.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how do I measure

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
If you mean the bow, usually you just check the marking, but if you want to do it yourself, measure shoulder of string nock to shoulder of string nock, along the face (facing you when you hold it) of the limb, but in the path such that if you had a string on the bow, but with no slack, but also no tension. I.e., if the bow was face up, it would follow the contour through the recurve, then lift off the limb near the riser straight to the top of the recurve of the other limb, and then along the limb until it gets to the other shoulder of the string nock.

If you mean the string, technically, unless you're using a string made for a really light bow, put the string on 1/4" thick posts, pull it with 100 pounds of pressure, and measure outside of post to outside of post. You can also simply put one side on a nail or hook in a stud, the other side on a screwdriver, lean back, and measure that, which is usually close enough. I don't know if the improvised method is a Rick or Chad trick, but give credit to one of those guys :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well after taking it back to the shop I have a bow with an AMO of 62 inches. As it turned out they gave me a string that was too small and they gladly changed it for me. Thanks for all the help from everyone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts